Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...so, you didn't like 'em?

I'd still like to have one, those parts would be changed out for my purposes anyway, but 1000s' a bit steep...I really don't care about collecting "new" guns anyway...If they only made two, it'd be different, but Colt always seems to make at least 500 of everything... :wink: shame ya' didn't pop a couple caps wit' those "repops"...LOL

I like that word..."repop"...

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-07-19 02:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Man, that SUCKS! I was siting here looking at almost a dozen 1911s, a commercial 1927 and 1932, a couple of Commercial 1950's guns and 6 early Series 70s.

Nice guns, it's too bad that someone can't bring back the old days :sad:

·
Registered
322 Posts
While the overall quality is a disappointment, some of your observations (presented as criticism?) bear a closer look. The finish on the hammer, trigger, safeties, etc. on original G.I. guns didn't match the slide and frame, as the small parts were finished separately; some guns had parkerized slide and frame, with blued small parts. G.I. mags are blued, not parkerized. The extensive use of cast parts is probably the biggest disappointment. An M1991A1, with the cast parts replaced by forged or barstock, would be closer to the mark, and cheaper, than the new '11A1.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Alfadog> that price is really high, 950-1000 will be the average price.

Colt said from teh start that the gun would have reproduction parts, cast or whatever. They're only made to look right. The markings, checkering etc. were teh main features of the gun.

I wish he'd detail stripped the other once he saw the flaws in the first. If he was returning them, it could have given a broader sampling.
And, I'd still take a Colt 1991 over a SA Mil-spec :smile:
But, the mainspring housing retaining pin PLASTIC? would it even hold?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hellooooooooooo!!!

Maybe Kimber Mfg. will give the M-1911A1 a try. I hope so since my one and only fire arm is a Kimber Custom. I'd like to expand that number someday with another Kimber since they're such a reliable and trustworthy weapon in my inexperienced but honest opinion. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ya, heaven forbid that a Colt would actually look like a Colt, as in this 1927 Comercial gun and a 1930s Comercial gun with their factory original finishes. Not a cast or MIM part in sight :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-20 01:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That is really sad... Colt has made so many good guns over the years that it's unfortunate they don't seem to have their act together even now.

Really, how long has it been since your typical Colt stood up to what you got in a MK IV Series 80, let alone the really coveted stuff? By some measures my Delta Elite was relatively dire by Colt standards back when it was stock: plastic MSH, plastic trigger, etc. But who would rather have a 1991A1 than a Delta Elite? Especially since the prices are alarmingly close... :roll:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Colt or not. What you got was not worth $1000. Hell, I wouldn't pay $500 for a gun that came to me like that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pal, I feel you pain too,for several decades in mexico a m1911a1 that does not have the colt rollmark is not worth,however the quality control you mention on almost 1K pistols you bought also desapoint me.
All the m1911a1 i ahev had has been a m1911 (pre a1) a colt combat comander and a GM nickel plated series 70.All steel guns without plastic or mim parts.

It's true that colt is falling down in quality control and Kimber,etc. are capitalizen in this.

I dream with a plane jane m1911a1,so I think springfield has tthe best plane jane m1911a1 cal.45 acpin the market these days.

Mr.Burns thanx a lot for the pics the pistols are beutifull,those guns are yours?

Manny

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got one of these and I love it. Sure, there were some scuffs and scratches on the finish and there's no excuse for that. But mine's a shooter and I'll be a whole lot harder on the finish than the union thugs at Colt ever dreamed of being.

Shoots damn straight too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.