Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to purchase one of these, but would like some thoughts from others on the durablilty of the grey finish and if possible, any 'range reports' on the gun by other owners .... Is its performance/cost a good value ??

Best Regards, :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do a search for "Custom Eclipse" here and at http://www.1911forum.com

I've had mine for a month now with around 500rds. fired and only had a couple of failure to ejects because I changed to a heavier spring (switched back to factory weight). Works good with a shok-buff too. The gun is more accurate than me and the trigger is drastically improving (went from 4lbs factory to a nice 3.5lbs). One bad thing though is the crappy Meprolight sights Kimber installed on the gun (my front sight went dark after 100rds). I will be sending in the slide to have Kimber replace the front sight. Finish is just like stainless, and does not wear off easily but more susceptible to metal-to-metal scratches. Overall, I really like this gun, its holding up pretty well, checkering is really nice and it still looks great with the cool finish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello GR,
Thanks for the advice and information about the 1911 forum . I just cannot believe there is SoMuch information available.

After my first few hundred rounds this queasy feeling may subside, but for now, I stand a bit wary, hoping I got one of the GoodOnes and it will not requre a return to the factory ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had an Eclipse II for about 4 weeks now, and it's a great gun. My only complaint is the front night sight going dim then dark after 400 rounds in 3 sessions. But that seems to be a common problem with recent shipments of night sights.
I don't have any holster wear yet, but the black oxide finish seems reasonably durable. Of course as it wears I expect it will be more noticeable than most finishes given the high contrast between SS and the really daaaaaaaaaaark flat black. Looks like a good excuse to pick up an all SS Kimber for carry -- just gotta convince my better half!
The gun shoots better than I can, but I shoot better with it than I did with my Walther P99. I've had a few FTF so far using S&B 230gr. ball and Wilson 47D's and no failures to eject. I suspect a problem with my extractor tension because some spent cases come straight back.
So far, I've had no FTF with the factory mag, but I've used the Wilson's more. I think I coulda limp wristed the the FTF's though. The Wilson mags are really nicely built -- not a burr anywhere. They also disassemble easily for cleaning. I got them at Natchez for under $24 each.
My trigger pull after 400 rounds is right at 3 pounds.
The barrel bushing was really tight between bushing and slide. I've seen some other posts about this being normal. It's getting easier to dismantle now. This tightness between bushing and slide is important for accuracy, as well as close tolerance between barrel and bushing (which is OK on mine, BTW); just use a good lube on the slide and bushing surfaces (I'm using Militec-1) during reassembly.
Sent my Eclipse back to Kimber for a new front sight and the extractor check. I hope they screen their replacement sights. I don't want to have to do this again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DesertRat on 2001-08-20 11:36 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.