Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What features do forum members like to see on their custom hi-powers?

What do forum members think of the trigger system set-up on the Mark III hi-powers vs. those of older manufacture? Anyone able to get a hi-power trigger to reset ALMOST to the level of a 1911?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. For "carry" guns, I like Novak, black on black fixed sights regulated for my load of choice at 15 yards. If the standard MkIII fixed sights are "on" out of the box, I see no need to change them, however.

I like the factory extended thumb safety, but do not like the right-side safety as they get in my way when shooting and can accidentally be engaged when not desired.

I remove the magazine disconnect and routinely add 18.5lb Wolff conventional recoil springs and the Buffer Technology shock buff.

If adj sights are to be added, I use either Bomars that are low mounted and "melted," or
S&W adj revolver sights.

The spur hammer must either be slightly bobbed or the C&S abbreviated ball hammer added to avoid dreaded Browning hammerbite.

I'm generally happy with matte blue for a finish or matte blue with the slide flats a polished blue.

Spegel stocks.

Best.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The "biggest bang for the buck" comes from replacing the issue stocks (either the clunky wooden ones or the gawd-awful plastic thumbrest monstrosities) with Spegel stocks. The improvement in feel is amazing.

Beyond that, the old standby's of "sights you can see" and "a trigger you can use" come to mind. The older P-35's need to have their tiny thumb safety replaced, but the current "banana-shaped" thumb safeties work fine.

Personally, I like to have the magazine disconnector removed and to have the hammer spur shortened and the rear of the hammer hogged out (the Novak/Wickmann "no bite" mod). Dehorning or a "carry bevel package" is a nice touch on many pistols and the P-35 is no exception.

Rosco

·
Registered
67 Posts
Browning Hi Power revisited.

Had not owned one for several years, altho about 10 or so years ago, I really enjoyed the HP. Old age and right shoulder problem made me look at the light recoiling HP again.

About two weeks ago, one followed me home from the local shop. Had a very gritty/creepy trigger, mags have to be removed by hand, but accuracy was excellent.

A trip to the Brownells catalog brought a set of Navidrex thin grips, and a C&S sear. Sent the sear back today--looked like it had been tumbled. Operative edge was rounded.

Did a detail strip, and cleaned and polished contact surfaces, did a little work on the sear-hammer engagement, careful polish of the disconnector parts, and trigger system. Trigger is now fairly clean, and at 6.5 lbs. Sure, it would be nice if it were at 3 lbs as are my 1911s, but I don't think it can be done with the disconnector in place.

This gun now has about 300 rounds of various ammo thru it since purchase. All but 10 rounds were some sort of hollow point, with about 200 my 125gr Star JHP practice load at 1100fps. Quickest? One GAS round at 1694fps.
No failures of any kind.

My magazine free fall problem is caused by the sear spring. Tried both of my springs, and result was the same--drag at the bottom of the spring. Any suggestions? On order now, a set of Ashley BD tritium. GLV

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GLV on 2001-07-07 21:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stephen, all polished--the problem seems to be the bottom of the sear spring, after the disconnecter has released.

Hoser, I use skate board tape. This product seems to work well for me both on 1911s and BHPs. I do not like having the front strap of alloy 1911s, or the thin front strap of Brownings checkered. Available at any hobby shop, and cheep. GLV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.