Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we all know Dane's opinion on whether a gun should have a Shok Buff (or similar product). :smile: And I certainly respect Dane's opinion. In fact, in the short time I've been here (been a member longer at AR15.com and other sites), I'm currently contemplating whether I should get on Dane's "To Build" list. Given a few more months of thought, and I might be starting on my second high end 1911 project. Gotta sort out my first one, though.

I'd like to know:

1. Who likes shock buffers and why? Larry never opined on this in his AH article, did he (my friend's got my mag!)?; and

(2) Is a shock buffer an element in the reliability of the gun. By that, I mean, if I have a higher end semi-custom/production (whatever) gun that gets the occassional hangup with a shock bugger, is that indicative of another problem in the gun, or could my gun simply "not like" shock buffers? If it is built well, should it run with or without a shock buffer? Or is it possible that one perfectly constructed pistol will work with a shock buffer and choke without, or vice versa?

All the debate about whether to have a shock buffer in a gun is meaningless until we figure out whether the reliability problems are caused by the gun itself or the shock buffer, IMHO. I'm presuming that the maintenance "chewed up buffer" argument is a nonissue here, so let that for another thread (I clean my gun more often than the Shok Buff needs changing). In fact, that other thread is out there. :wink:

TIA

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll add to the question..... Other than to pretect an alloy framed gun from cracking what are the shock buffs supposed to do? I thought on a steel framed gun they were just another 5 bucks on the bill at the gun store? Is there any real purpose for them on a steel framed 1911?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chrisinmo on 2001-06-03 14:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had them in my LW 38 super comm but took them out. I've got an extra power spring in it so I'm not too worried about the frame. The reason is that the gun won't "slingshot" load from slidelock. The slide doesn't go back far enough to knock down the slide stop.
I've seen it on some wilson's before also with the same effect.

While I drop from slide lock also, I like to keep the options open.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hello all!
Some guns with a high recoil impulse need the protection a buff
can supply. If slidelock is a problem, try the Hiett Technologies Red Buffs on .090 (formerly CP Buffs, I believe).
They're about $5 from Brownells, and work well.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
There is an excellent discussion of buffs in the Acessories forum for those that might have an interest.

FWIW I was recommended the Haitt buffs and tried them over the last month or so and still find the CP buffs the clear winner.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the better question for me to ask is do custom smiths test fire their guns both with and without buffers to test for function? Or is the SOP simply to test fire it in the configuration it's going out the door in?

Seems to me, from personal experience with my gun, that there may be problems for those who take shock buffers out (i.e., it may cover a flaw, as it apparently did in my case) or someone may throw one in down the road and find out the gun doesn't like it.

Should a perfectly functioning gun be able to work well with or without one? Does lack of this versatility mean there's a problem somewhere?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like them and use them. I have no worries with reguard to dependability or risk of malfunction. They work great in my Wilson CQB and I can sling shot the slide if I want to. They also work in my Baer Thunder Ranch, but I cannot sling shot the slide in the TRS. I use them in a Beretta 96 Elite II and also use them in a few Glocks. Never had a problem with them in anything. My main goal in using them is to try to reduce metal-to-metal contact and possibly increase the life of the gun and reduce wear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi JacRyan. I'm a fellow Ar15.comer myself (ipschoser1). I like the recoil "feel" better with a shok buff installed. Of course less wear and tear on the frame makes me feel better to. I use Wilson buffs because they are thinner than some others on the market. The ability to "slingshot" the slide isn't very important to me, I use the slide stop so this isn't a disadvantage of the buff IMO. I haven't used buffs in anything but my STI Edge .40 and my 5" Kimber but both run very reliably with them installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.