Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I pondered my Delta Elite's magazine woes...

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=8&6

... I wondered what magazines gunsmiths provide with their custom 10mm handguns? I assume whatever y'all use must work, otherwise what would be the point of selling a $2000+ pistol that isn't reliable with the magazines?

I'm fairly confident my problem is the magazines because:

A) With Shooting Star 9-round magazines, they work 100% perfect... if loaded to 8 rounds. With 9 rounds, they flunk on the top round in the magazine about half the time.

B) With Metalform 9-round magazines, they work (and don't work) exactly the same way as the Shooting Stars, with the added problem of locking back the slide with the last round still in the magazine EVERY TIME (something that never happens with the Shooting Stars).

C) With the 1 stock Colt 8-round magazine I had, the spring was obviously shot and caused malfunctions all the time.

D) Ammo used (JHPs, FMJ, cast handloads) have NO effect on what causes a malfunction.

So what should I do? Is there a better option than just use the 9-rounders as 8 rounders? Will new Colt 8-rounders not suck? Will ANYTHING not suck in my gun?

Many thanks for any insights you can provide.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-05-07 21:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use Shooting Star, aka, McCormick Mags in my 10MM's. Making a 10MM run is not as easy as making a 45 run, that why many Smiths
shy away from the 10. I have had some problem 10MM pistols, but
never was it a Magazine problem. If you stick with Colt 8 Rd. or
the McCormick 9 Rd. and the Pistol doesn't work it is something
else causing the problem. Ammo length and bullet shape are very
critical.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your response. Maybe I should make my problems with the CMC magazines clearer:

During my first range session, I loaded the CMCs to 9 rounds and about every other time I tried to chamber the 1st round out of the magazine, it would misfeed in some fashion. However, it never misfed any of the other 8 rounds. This happened with both 200gr FMJ and 175gr Silvertips.

So I started to load the CMCs to ony 8 rounds. The pistol worked PERFECTLY for around 200 rounds, including 200gr FMJ, 175gr Silvertips, 155gr Pro Load JHPs and 155gr cast handloads.

The Metalform 9-rounders did exactly the same thing: feed fine with 8, about half the time misfeed the top round if loaded to 9... but they would prematurely lock back the slide witout feeding the last round on top of that. I never had this problem with any of the other magazines, so I tossed the Metalforms.

The one Colt magazine that came with the pistol had an OBVIOUSLY weak spring, so I don't think what I observed with it "counts" as far as how well that magazine works in general (and I ordered some new Colt 8-rounders to try out).

So I think why you can see why I thought that, up to this point, it really was a magazine issue. If a new set of stock Colt 8-round magazines doesn't work, though, I'll definitely look into having the pistol itself checked out. What do you think could be causing the problem with the 1st round out of the magazine aside from the magazine itself?

FWIW, I have a friend who has exactly the same problem with CMC 10-round .45 ACP magazines in his Kimber... perfect with 9, problems with 10. Other mags don't cause any issues for him. Do you think the magazines highlight a defect in the gun or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance for any insight you (or anyone else) can provide me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-05-08 11:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hi folks!
I am now using the Wilson-Rodgers .38 super mags, with the feed
lips just slightly modified to feed 10mm. They use the same
follower, but you will never get 10 in one like you can with
.38 super. I've yet to have a malfunction in these mags or in
any of my .45 mags!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem with .45 Kimber. The first round would not feed from slide lock. After many hours of blaming the mags the light bulb finally came on. The throat angle was slightly off. 15 min with a Foredom cured the feed problem. The first run of 9mm Springfields, a couple of years ago, had a similar problem in that the ramp angle was off on the original barrels causing them to not feed the first round.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, it now feeds perfectly with Colt 8-rounders with Wolff +10% recoil springs. Or it used to until it completely broke (see new topic). :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts