Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sa commander model that i bought usedin 1998. it was built in 1991, has factory barrel bushing and after market extended mag release, beavertail safety, extended thumb safety and night sights. really all i would like to do is have a relaibility package done on it and checker the front strap. my concern is if the slide to frame fit is to loose or maybe if i should worry about the (dare i say) the age of this 1911.
is a new 1911 the way to go or should i stick with my commander.
also want to say hello to all and thank dane for sending me here for info.
thanks,robd

·
Registered
72 Posts
The economics of customizing a 1911 is tricky. You need to calculate what it will cost to get the gun where you want it versus buying a new one with all the doodads. How much useful life is left in the gun? What's the condition of the barrel?

A reliability package can cost around $200. If you checker the frontstrap (about $150 to $250) you will need to refinish the gun (another $140 or so). You will also want to get a match bushing fitted (another $50 or so). If you've already put that much into it, you'll want to tighten the slide to frame fit--another $100-200. All this could end up costing way over $800. In the end, you'll still have a Springfield and the resale will bring you pennies back on your investment.

The 1911 trap is to drop way more into a gun than you should have. In resale, you'll point out the features, but all the buyer will see is the SA logo on the slide.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Howardk is correct for the most part, while putting $$$ into a new 1911 you hope to keep forever is a good thing, you will never get that extra $$$ when/if sold as most knowledgeble folks want dead stock used guns.

The exception of course is work by the "Big Name" 1911 Smiths like Heine, Burns, Vickers which IMHO will appreciate in value, but then you are usually talking lots of money and long waiting periods.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-18 08:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
705 Posts
robd,

If all you are going to do is a simple reliability job, then your SA is fine. Don't worry about the slide fit so much. It is the barrel fit that is the bigger determanent of accuracy. A slide can shake like a baby rattle and still be just fine.

If you have any idea in the back of your mind that you might escalate your mods to that of a fullhouse gun, then IMO, you may want to consider another pistol for that purpose. I have done this dance and it costs more in the end to make a gun 'best grade' by fixing the *problem* slide to that standard, then it is to just buy a frame and slide set and have your fullhouse gun built on it.

DD

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Rob,

I have a Colt Series 80 Combat Commander, built in 1989.
Pistolsmith Terry Tussey performed a "reliability package" and a "trigger job" with a Videki trigger. I can shoot this gun very accurately now (the trigger job helped a lot).

My Colt had no accuracy work perfomed. Some accuracy work can affect reliability, an unacceptable choice for me.

Before you have any advanced accuracy work done on yor Commander, you may want to do the reliability package, if required, and a trigger job, and see how it shoots.

Pachmayer makes a grip that wraps around the frontstrap that may do what you want the checkering to do without needing a re-finish.

To avoid major disappointment, use a pistolsmith recommended by someone you know and trust....I have heard of many butchered pistols ruined by "gunsmiths" and amateurs who did not know what they were doing.

Good luck,

Mk.IV

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark IV Series 80 on 2001-05-20 14:47 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts