Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume it would be okay to heavily customize a pistol such as a Kimber that can be bought in CA, but is it legal to have truly full house custom guns built for customers in CA? By full house, I mean built ground up from just a slide and frame.

Ryan

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you own the frame you or a smith can do anything as you wish as long as it's legal and does not change the semi-auto function of the gun. Heck you can change calibers too!

·
Registered
934 Posts
As long as you can legally own the frame, no problemo. The problem would be actually finding one that you CAN own. Oh, BTW, did I mention I hate all the politicians in this state.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ryan!

I live in the Peoples Republik and I have two separate custom projects "on the boards right now".

Both projects are using "approved" for sale guns listed on the DOJ website, one Kimber and one Colt. As long as the registration was made in the state of California on a gun from the DOJ list, then you are in the clear. The Kimber will only come back with the frame from the original gun and the Colt with the frame and slide from the original gun.

There is a possibility of using a non-DOJ approved gun (aka...a "used gun"). However, you must purchase this gun via a private party "physical" person-to-person sale/transaction at an FFL dealer. Then, you can play ball.

Consult with your smith extensively on what you would like to do and then find the best gun/platform to suit your project. Listen to the smith!

There is no way to beat the system here so choose wisely and know your firearm transportation laws so your custom will never be "confiscated" due to an overlooked requirement, or should I say the LAW.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I e-mailed Dane Burns about it. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out. I'm leaning toward just buying a Kimber and using that as a base gun rather than the original idea of buying just a slide and frame and going from there.

Ryan

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ryan... About your only hope is to buy a complete gun, like a Kimber, and go from there.

You can not buy a frame in California,. unless you get lucky and find one for sale from someone privately.

I bought 2 frames before the deadline last year, knowing I could stash them away for later, and they were cheaper than buying complete guns. So I have a Hi-Cap, and a Single-Stack, and NO, they are NOT for sale :wink:

Simply because Wilson has gotten the CQB approved on the list, you can not go to your local FFL, and order a Wilson frame... The new law, and the DOJ has taken that away from us...

So... You want a Custom... Sadly, you will be limited...

You might contact Wilson though, and ask them how much a "Totally 'hand-assembled' Custom CQB" might cost, all you REALLY need is to match the Serial Number layout/type of the Wilson CQB :wink:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Last I hear you can have Kimber, Colt, Springfield and LB. You guys have no idea how good you have it.

I still have my second 1911......and it is an awesome gun. It is a full house 5" on a Comercial Colt. Wipe away the sentimental value to me of that gun and ask to trade for a full house Kimber that is California legal or a Springfield, Wilson, or a LB built by any one of a handful of smiths and I'd jump on the chance if I were sane.

Bottom line is even the generic guns being producted by all of the manufactures today are light years better than what my first two guns were built on.

Find a good maker and buy a good gun...two out of three problems solved :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-25 21:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2001-10-25 20:08, jaydee wrote:
Ryan... About your only hope is to buy a complete gun, like a Kimber, and go from there.

You can not buy a frame in California,. unless you get lucky and find one for sale from someone privately.

I bought 2 frames before the deadline last year, knowing I could stash them away for later, and they were cheaper than buying complete guns. So I have a Hi-Cap, and a Single-Stack, and NO, they are NOT for sale :wink:

Simply because Wilson has gotten the CQB approved on the list, you can not go to your local FFL, and order a Wilson frame... The new law, and the DOJ has taken that away from us...

So... You want a Custom... Sadly, you will be limited...

You might contact Wilson though, and ask them how much a "Totally 'hand-assembled' Custom CQB" might cost, all you REALLY need is to match the Serial Number layout/type of the Wilson CQB :wink:
I don't think Wilson will do it. I e-mailed them about getting a KZ45 with a silver Armor Tuff finish and no MIM parts and they won't even do that, even though I think it would be legal. Actually I know for a fact it's okay to change the finish, but they won't.

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.