Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like one of my Marlin 1895 45-70 rifles to have a 16.5 inch barrel and a barrel band front sight. I have a chance to buy a spare barrel for $70 and have the work done to it and then replace the 22" tube on a standard 1895SS or have a gunsmith take the existing barrel, cut it back and put on the sights. Any ideas about the simplest, least costly way of doing this. Yes, I know I could buy a guide gun but I am not a big fan of straight grip stocks on a heavy recoiling carbine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just wanted to drop my reply in here so I can pay attention to the responses you get. I have an older 1895 with the 22" micro-groove barrel that I would prefer a Ballard cut rifled barrel for shooting lead bullets a little better. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the 22" or cut it down some; of course that is dependent on finding another barrel at a reasonable cost. I also plan to buy one of the magazine tubes for a 1895 Cowbot and cut it down and fit it to whatever barrel length I decide on so that I have a full-length magazine tube.
-R

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R-
I'm trying to understand what you're hoping to end up with. I got confused by your variables. Replacement barrel, mag tube, ballard rifling, cut down microgroove barrel?

There are a lot of available 22" Marlin Microgroove barrels available. The cut rifling barrels are harder to find, but they are out there. A lot of people hated the factory ported barrels on their Guide Guns and pulled those barrels. If I could find one, I'd cut it back behind the ports to get my 16.5 inches.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry about the confusion, I was multi-tasking while I typed that! I have the micro-grooved 22" barrel and half-magazine tube. I want a Ballard-cut rifled barrel (length undecided, <=22") with a full-length magazine tube. Thanks!
-R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts