Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a set of ebony grips that cover the MSH pin hole. Is there a proper way to cut an access hole?

I was going to just drill a hole on the corner of the grip. What refinishing might be neccessary for the ebony grips?

Thank you for the assistance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It amazes me to think that anyone today would
need to remove a main spring housing without
removing the grips first..The possibilty of buggering up a nice set of grips is too high.
I believe that the cutout for the MSH pin is a unnecessary hold over from way back when and is not necessary and is unsightly..
My .02 cents worth..

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
And I wouldn't own a set of grips or have them on a gun that didn't leave the pin clear for takedown. Imagine that :grin:

No big deal to cut them off and refinish the grip. Go slow and be patient.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't want to remove my grips everytime I need to get at the innards. I have no reason to cover the pin. I don't think that it detracts at all from the lines of the pistol.

If you can't remove the mainspring housing pin without buggering up your grips, you're doing something wrong!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I like the ability to totally field strip my weapon without any tools, but the weapon itself.

·
Registered
388 Posts
On 2001-09-11 17:04, Gunny6 wrote:
JM, just which part of your weapon do you use to knock out the mainspring housing pin ????
you could use the thumb safety pin. I have never tried it but it seems about the right size.
also the sear spring cn be used for the mag release.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hammer Strut can be used to knock out the MSH Pin.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Shay "the Vulcan" had it right. Take out the thumb safety first and use it with the heel of you hand to push out the mainspring pin. Light taps with the base of the mag back will put it back in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When John Browning designed this fine pistol, he did it right..but now we have; 2 pc. and full length guide rods, hex head screws and other designer parts so a small tool kit may be needed. Keep your fighting pistol free of all the add on`s........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.