Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this cleaning kit? Sounds a bit too good to be true but I just finished cleaning several handguns and would like to find an easier way (sorry, but I admit that I hate cleaning guns)

I know it's no substitute for a good scrubbing but after a mild shooting session, I'd like a process that can easily clean before storing away again for next time. The fact that it leaves a light protective coating after drying sounds appealing, especially since it will get into the trigger and hammer assembly easily. Any opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good Question,

Dunk-It works and works well. As much as I hate to say it since everyone uses the reference, Dunk-It is used by A LOT of military spec ops teams that hang close to and in the water. Dunk-It will displace water and residue when the weapon is either submerged or flushed with it. Great stuff. Bill will appreciate the question and post.

Rob

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this cleaning kit? Sounds a bit too good to be true but I just finished cleaning several handguns and would like to find an easier way (sorry, but I admit that I hate cleaning guns)
I think I answered on another forum, but here goes again.

I have a 5-gallon bucket of Dunk-it. Not bad stuff if you have several handguns to clean at the same time. However, just for one gun, I find that it takes just as long to wipe off/out the Dunk-it as it takes to actually clean the gun properly. All in all, though, it works pretty well.

Maybe I'm just anal , but I can't just swish the gun around a couple of times and call it clean. I have to field strip it and wipe down the interior and basically dry it out. So, as I said, if I have several to clean, I'll just strip 'em and drop them in the bucket. Then I clean/wipe each piece as I pull it out.

Then I have to figure out which piece goes where!

Chad

·
Registered
20 Posts
My experience with the Dunk Kit is the same as Chads.

I like the kit for the very thin film of oil that it leaves on the metal. But if you just swish your gun it it, there will be areas where the powder residue will not be cleaned. The frame just forward of the feed ramp is the worst, and usually needs a brushing to get off the caked-on gunk. In fact, where there is caked gunk, just dunking will not clean it all off.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gentlemen,
I've always planned on taking the brush to the frame and slide. Also Hoppes the inside barrel and brush it too. It's just all the darn bottles and Breakfree and patches everywhere that was driving me crazy. I tried the spray stuff but it seemed to strip ALL the oils out and didn't want it to get into action or anywhere inside for fear it would degrease too much.

This sounded really appealing but never really believed that it actually might work well. Not intending to use to replace a detail strip cleaning once in a while but just for cleaning after a day of shooting before sitting in safe for next trip. I'm going to pick up a 3/4 gallon bucket to try :smile:

Thanks again. And any other cleaning tricks or solvent ideas is always appreciated.

614 Posts
I think the Dunk-it is the same thing we used in the Army to clean our tubes on our Cannons.It was called bore cleaner there.And it also worked great on our side arms.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One really nice thing is that the film is leaves both lubs and fights rust. This means that those small parts and internal surfaces that we rarely get to are reached by Dunk-It. Bill was working on a small, self-contained, kit for pistols that would work like bike chain cleaning kits.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts