Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who did not get to SHOT, be on the lookout for an article in American Handgunner. Bill Laughridge has done it again. First he cut down an Officer's Model or Commander to make his excellent Adventurer. Not he is cutting down Hi Powers into what he calls a Pathfinder. A great pistol that drew rave reviews from the likes of out own Richard Heinie!!!!!

Check it out or drop Bill a note if you are seriously interested.

Rob

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have never seen one but I have been told that Cut down versions of hi powers where done in europe back in the 70's.
probably not as nice as C&S.

·
Registered
705 Posts
IIRC, Dick was enamored enough to place an order for a Pathfinder at the SHOT Show? At $4379, they are a little pricey for most BHP fans -- but many of us would still like one nonetheless. :smile: I don't recall who (or where), but I seem to recall someone mentioning the pistol displayed at the SHOT Show was actually one C&S put together many years ago. If anyone knows the scoop, please enlighten us.

For those that didn't see pics from the Jan. New Orleans SHOT Show, take a look:

Photos are courtesy of fellow gun forum Netizen Mike OTMG. He still has his excellent SHOT Show report up here

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-04-16 23:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
139 Posts
FWIW, Art Leckie still does a chopped HP that is really nice for a bit less cash. I believe that he (and his father-in-law, Austin Behlert) have built these for 40 years or more. Not a flame, 'cause C&S does some great work. Bill has some good folk working with him there too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

DD Thanks for posting the photo.

The Hi Power project is new. The amount of work is cutting the frame on a Hi Power is a lot more than on a 1911 frame. Austin did some neat Hi Power cut downs back in the 70's. I was fortunate to meet him at a SHOT Show back then and look at one of his guns.

The Pathfinder also features a Bar Sto barrel, C&S internal parts, Novak sights, the the extended "beavertail" frame. They will also shoot sub 2" at 25 yrds.

Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chopped BHP's weren't all that uncommon in the 70's following Swenson's Bobcat and Paris Theodore's ASP, but I don't see much purpose to them personally. With any piece with a double column magazine, it seems to me that truncating the bbl is the wrong way to go--especially with a piece that has such a slender graceful profile already (and for me, a slightly too muzzle light feel).

Also don't really see much purpose in the beaver tail on a BHP.

Do dislike as a matter of personal taste, all of that massive stamping of logos and names on the slide and am really not to keen on the use of the Army Pathfinder badge on the slide as part of a civilian marketing ploy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 256M-S on 2001-04-17 11:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 256M-S on 2001-04-17 11:30 ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
The rear sight looks like a Novak but it's not dovetailed in. ?
I carried (was issued) a BHP in 1989 for a few years and size was never a concern. as a matter of fact after getting used to the 1911 I always felt the grip on the BHP was a little short and harder to get for a fast draw. I see more and more compact guns from different custom shops and Manufacture's but I always prefered full size guns.(at my size there is no problem concealing) :smile:
people always want something different I guess.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shay,

Good Eye! It is a Novak and it is not dovetailed in where you can see it. Bill would not give up what and how he did it!

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
On 2001-04-18 08:09, Rob Garrett wrote:

Good Eye! It is a Novak and it is not dovetailed in where you can see it. Bill would not give up what and how he did it!
It's possible the sight is similar to the McCormick/Nowlin night sight. There's a dovetail retainer installed in the slide dovetail and the actual rear sight is screwed onto the retainer. Same design is used for the Tasco Optima sight with 1911 adapter.
Thong

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New set screws or anything else like that were visible to the eye. I looked real hard!

Just discussed things with Bill. The $4300 gun is fully tricked top of the line gun including the gun. You can get a Pathfinder built on your gun, with Novaks, for about $1,100. He also builds them on the FEG clone and you would never know it started life as a FEG.

Rob

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rob Garrett on 2001-04-18 10:35 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts