Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read Dave Lauck's Tactical 1911 book, and wanted to offer some thoughts on the book. It's well organized and broken down, with a writing style that is lucid and appropriate for the topic material. The book has black and white pics only, and one 6" longslide keeps reappearing in every chapter. Dave likes the 5" 1911 in .45, and also has some rather idiosyncratic preferences in 1911's, to include undercut front sights, ambidextrous thumb shields, unmatched forward serrations, carry comps, full length guide rods, serrated trigger guards, and the use of ball ammo to the exclusion of JHP's.

I found the book ok as a casual read, and about on par with Wilson's shamelessly self promoting Combat Auto book as far as depth of topic material. Lauck's book is newer and therefore less dated than Wilson's, though Wilson's book has plenty of pics of other smith's work as well as the entire Wilson catalog. The Lauck book only has multiple pics of 3-4 of his guns. I would neither make recommendations for or against this book, I guess it'd depend on how much you want to read about 1911's. I'm still looking for a good book with lots of groovy pics of many different smith's work, but it would seem that American Handgunner is the most current and varied source for that stuff. Anyone read Layne Simpson's 1911 book?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a copy of Layne's book that is quite dogeared by now. His stuff is a little dated by now since the book has been out for several years now but, its full of good pics with about a equal mix of carry and race guns. Its full of good facts about 1911's and the decisions that need to be made when having a custom one built. He's got good load data on handloads for various ipsc type stuff and chrono data on a lot of factory loads in 3.5,4.25 and 5 inch guns. Some of the phone numbers and addresses are not accurate (more likely just dated) but I still consider it a must have for 1911 literature. JS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a copy of Layne Simpson's book I picked up a few years ago.Its quite well worn.I can't really comment on its quality versus others on the subject since I havn't found any others as thick.I enjoy it and if its lots of pictures of different tricked out 1911's your lookin for,I'd recommend this book.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I also have a copy of Layne's book. It's really not bad. I think it would be really good for a first time 1911 shooter/buyer.

I say that because he talks about dern near everything about 1911s, even if it is just a page or two. He talked about competition guns as well as carry/defense guns.

I think the thing about these types of gun books(Lauck, Layne Simpson, Bill Wilson)is that you are simply paying for one man's opinion.

And in this country, pretty much everyone has one, and most of the time, they aren't all alike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.