Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... Has anyone seen the latest issue, and 'glowing' editorial of Cameron Hopkins? Mine appeared in the mailbox yesterday.

As if the 25 anniversary issue of AH is not enough, the featured gun is a very beautiful Dawson Custom, complete with everything a 'Tactical Operator' would ever want.

I personally found Ichiro's photography excellent, as always, but still can't figure out why he ALWAYS has a Strider knife in his pics. How about a Mad Dog once in a while? :wink:

I suppose it was good that Cameron didn't attempt to pass this off as some $3k custom that 'should be worth $10k', I mean come on, the Slide Serrations aren't even straight :grin: Actually, I thought the radius in them was pretty cool, and appears to match the radius of the rear of the slide... Nice touch, IMHO :wink:

I think it would have been a bit nicer had the Muzzle Crown been flushed with the slide, but that's just me, others probably feel different.

The "Patent Pending" Surefire light mount that Dawson has looks pretty sweet, and for this type of application, I think I would prefer it to the Springfield Full Length rail as most of my holsters would still work. The mount does remind me of the one our late friend Brian was working on just before he left us... Glad to see someone continued developing a mount, I will probably be mounting one on the 9x23 Hi-Cap Tactical I am still aquiring parts for.

One thing about the Dawson gun I don't quite understand... Here you have a gun with an option to hang a BRIGHT light under, and while the light is on in a low/no light situation, having regular Combat sights may be fine, but it seems that it would also be worthwile to have Tritiums installed as well.... Afterall, there could be times when you may not have the light mounted, or where lighting up a target in dim light could be a detriment... Maybe I am just looking at it wrong...

Overall, I loved the appearance of this gun, and my preferrences are rarely towards 'Black Guns', preferring the Silver (SS/Hard Chrome) ones, this was one I could seriously consider owning if it wasn't for the PRK's stupid laws, I'd love to be plucking down a few dollars.

I will say that the 'Accuracy' claims Cameron made reminds me of the $10k statements...

2.25" at 90 yards is very impressive, 5 rounds into the bottom of a Coke can at that distance by a Grand Master is very possible I am sure, and in front of witnesses, but I did note, Cameron did NOT say he was one of the witnesses :wink: Still, it seems like this gun would have to shoot roughly .50" at 25 yards for a 5 shot group, to match the 2.25" at 90, and that's what I would call a SERIOUS 'One Hole Group' if actually true.

Anyway, I don't know Dave Dawson, I have heard he's a pretty nice guy, and builds a fine gun... I understand the guy is a Grand Master and can shoot extremely well. I know others have worked with him, and had him do work for them... I'd hate to see this thread turn into something like the last issue of AH... I didn't want to start a Dave Bashing here, just thought I would throw out some comments... Did I mention I loved the gun :wink:

·
Registered
515 Posts
The thing that I noticed while looking through the Dawson article was that, in the picture of Dawson gauging frames, the frames' cut-outs on the side of the gripframe were quite small.

If one could get a frame from him that had no cut-outs and no stock screw bushing holes drilled, one could use it to make up a nifty, stockless, "slim-line" 1911.

Rosco

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2001-07-27 15:58, Rosco Benson wrote:
If one could get a frame from him that had no cut-outs and no stock screw bushing holes drilled, one could use it to make up a nifty, stockless, "slim-line" 1911.

Rosco
Interesting thought... :wink:

In reality though, my hands are small compared to many others, and even with normal sized stocks, I don't find it to be a problem, maybe I am just used to it after many, many years...

I have considered the 'Slim' stocks, but the thought of having a grip even SMALLER than that causes me to wonder if it might be too small. I dunno...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sent them an email a while ago when I first read about the light mount. I dont know anyone that has one installed but would like to find out. I bought a mil spec operator(price was right) but wanted a holsterable sytem like the Daweson..hopefully someone will do a review of the light mount soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think Dave's guns are very reasonably priced as far as full house customs go. The question I have is why anyone would go single stack when you can have a gun built by the same guy in double stack configuration. Dave can also build superlative guns on hi-cap STI frames, so why not take advantage of that? 9 rounds of .45 is o.k., but I'd rather have 14 or 15 rounds instead. Better odds.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
'Cause some of us have single-stack hands...and just LIKE single stacks...Mine's heavy enough...thanks :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.