Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing my carry gun (from 1911 to HP).

My 1911 has a heavy dehorn job. My HP is stock, but I'm getting ready to send it out for some work. I was handling my HP yesterday, trying to figure out what work I was going to get done, and it struck me...the lines on the HP as pretty darn smooth as is - do I really need to get it dehorned???

Am I the only one that feels this way? For those of you that have had work done on their HPs, did you get your HP dehorned? Did it make that much of a difference?

Please share your opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
P-35's can have some sharp edges and corners on the hammer spur and frame tang. The bottom edges of the slide also are good candidates for rounding (the little "hook" formed by the notch the safety engages for disassembly can really bite a high thumb). The slide stop normally has some sharp, holster-eating edges too.

The beautiful lines of the P-35 can be maintained by a careful craftsman. There's no need to make it look as if the village idiot attacked it with a buffing wheel.

Rosco

G

·
After purchasing a Practical with adjustable sights I am convinced the rear sight should be beveled. This is the main area that needs softening on a High-Power. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
35 Posts
a dehorning will make any finish you have done last longer, but as to it being important? I agree the tang area can use it - I usually go pretty dramatic in that area. The rest isn't as important IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.