Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what *I* got from the FedEx man? My Colt Delta Elite back from BCP!

Dane fixed a breakage caused by the previous gunsmith, fitted a Bar-Sto barrel, added a solid Videcki trigger @ 4.5lbs and replaced the stock plastic MSH with a stainless steel one.

Other work done to the gun:
Refinished to remove assorted scratches & dings
Novak sights with tritium inserts
S&A beavertail
WC extended "tactical" thumb safety
WC Full-length steel guide rod
Wolff 24lb recoil spring & XP magazine springs

I'll shoot it tonight and let everybody know how well it runs. :grin: :grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-13 14:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-09-23 23:02 ]</font>

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The grips are actually ebony from Eagle Grips. The Delta medallions were from the original beat-up rubber grips and were put in by the previous gunsmith.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-13 17:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-09-23 23:03 ]</font>

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I've shot 180 rounds through the Delta Elite...100 Speer Blazers, 40 Silvertips and 40 Pro-Load 155gr Gold Dots. With the ammo I had Dane test it with (Blazers and Silvertips) it ran perfectly. Whatever problems it had before are certainly cured.

It did NOT, however, like the Pro Loads one bit, having something like 3-4 hang-ups on the feed ramp. Since it went through 2 boxes of Blazers and 2 boxes of Silvetips without ANY problems I think I can safely say that it just doesn't like the wide-mouth Gold Dots. No problem, I'll feed 'em to my Glock, it eats anything. :grin:

Accuracy was really good... for the gun. You might say the Bar-Sto barrel and the slide "lock up like a bank vault." Dane also cut the barrel flush & crowned it. I don't have any test target pics because, frankly, I was kind of all over the place. At 25' I'd put a couple of rounds on top of each other (as in: one hole becomes one *somewhat* larger hole :eek: ) then totally tank it and throw a few 2-3" all over the place.

The Videki trigger feels great, 4.5lbs and no creep or mushiness at all. Even the texture of the trigger pad itself felt "just right" with good traction thanks to the serrations (but not too sharp). Really, I can't think of how to improve it. And trust me, I'm a picky SOB. I think the solid trigger looks alot better, too.

Other comments: that Delta Elite seems to get very hot very fast. Its temperature was kind of alarming after 100 rounds and downright unpleasant at 140+. A half hour later it was still warm (!). Of course, 80 of the rounds were full-power loads... I guess 600+ ft-lbs at the muzzle has its price. :smile:

BTW, recoil definitely falls into the "no big deal" category for me. If you can shoot .45 ACP +P without running home to momma to cry then you can cope with 10mm Auto from a Delta Elite. My only discomfort came from the blister I got on my trigger finger; I got soft in the month I was waiting for Dane to get me my gun back! :razz:

With a beavertail and extended thumb safety, the ergonomics and pointability of the Delta Elite are nothing short of fantastic, even by 1911 standards. I'm not sure why, but it definitely feels nicer than my old Kimber (which wasn't a slouch by any stretch). If I had to guess I'd say the arched MSH just fits my hand better, and maybe the grip shape is a little different? I can't compare it to a full-house custom gun, but it puts any production gun I've handled to shame.

Some minor niggles: the cocking serraitons IMHO are too sharp and are downright uncomforatble to use (if not quite as sadistic as the ones I felt on an older SA). Ditto the serrations on the top of the hammer; this is not a pistol that lends itself to thumb-cocking. Also, with that 24lb Wolff recoil spring working the slide is a non-trivial event if you don't have a good grip on it.

Conclusion: Gooooooooooooooooood gun! Aside from having it dehorned and the serrations toned down I can't think of anything to do to it to make it better. It sure seems to have accurate, reliable and comfortable nailed down. 4-1/2 out of 5 stars and I'm officially a satisfied customer of BCP. :grin:

P.S. Even when Hell freezes over AND pigs fly NOBODY is getting ths pistol! I'll just use it to shoot the flying hogs and then it will make an excellent hand warmer!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-13 21:28 ]</font>

G

·
Ex Intel Officers are not allowed to carry 10mms, there really should be some sort of law against it.

Only suave and cool ex Marine enlisted men E6s, in particular should be allowed to carry 10mms. :lol:

Nice gun, also what mags are you using?
I have found that the Pro Loads will feed reliably from the McCormicks, but not from the Colt mags.

You don't know 10mm SS heat yet, I'm really not kidding.

600-700 rounds per session and it will take at least an hour of "sitting" to cool enough to reholster it, let alone event hink about touching it.

Also, be very careful with Kydex, during one very long class day I cooked and reformed my kydex holster and let's say retention did not improve.

I usually stop every 20 mags, completely soak it in CLP for five minutes, wipe it down, then return to shooting.

You will need to wear gloves to shoot over 400 rounds in one session as I have measured the muzzle tempature infromally at well over 200 degrees.

Be wary of the synthetic oils as I have one SS 10mm that turned blue under heat (which is normal) but the synthetic lube baked onto the muzzle and the discoloration remained, I think I fire quenched that one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-13 22:13 ]</font>

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using Colt 8-round mags with Wolff XP magazine springs. Hmm... that's interesting. Before I got it back from Dane the Pro Loads fed fine from CMC 9-round magazines, except that if you loaded 'em to 9 it would choke with ANY ammo about half the time. Loaded to 8 they worked 100% with everything. Now that I think about it I don't think I tried the Pro Load/Colt mag combination before I sent it off...

P.S. Suave jarhead? :grin: :grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-13 22:44 ]</font>

G

·
On 2001-07-13 22:39, CastleBravo wrote:
]P.S. Suave jarhead? :grin: :grin: :grin:
All Devil Dogs are sharp... No, but I can offer you some beach front property in NM.

Did you get to do any 10mm cooking today?

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I visited a friend this weekend and all the ranges where he is at were closed. He just got a Ruger Redhawk and a S&W 686 to blast with too... :mad:

On the other hand, now he HAS to have a Delta Elite and I want to get a wheelgun, probably a S&W 610. :grin: :grin: :grin:

P.S. I've got some CMC mags in the mail to play with... I somehow lost the 2 I had before.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-15 21:40 ]</font>

· Registered
372 Posts
Sean,

I hate you now :smile:

Anyway, enjoy your gun :smile:

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, don't be TOO jealous... it's not a full-house BCP piece by any stretch. Well, at least not yet. :grin:

Oh, and I need to get more 10mm ammo. :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-16 09:31 ]</font>

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE!!!

Today I fired 120 full-power JHP loads through my Delta Elite using 2 new 9-round CMC magazines. The results?

20 Winchester Super-X 175gr STHP, no malfuncitons
20 Pro Load 155gr Gold Dot JHP, 1 failure to feed
80 Pro Load 180gr Gold Dot JHP, no malfunctions

For some reason this gun does not like the Pro Load 155gr load, but since it works perfectly with everything else I can hardly complain. With the CMC magazines it just seems to feed everything a little more smoothly. Since the springs were really stiff, I only loaded the mags with 8 rounds to spare my thumb.

Tell you what, touching off 120 10mm rounds in an indoor range will get you alot of room by yourself... I had 2 people come up to me to ask me about what I was shooting... because it was blasting chunks off the backstop! :eek:

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Son of a.... no I didn't make it. :mad:

Shhhhh... Dane is putting an AFTEC extractor in it as we speak... don't want him to get any ideas and put on some of those damn Heinie Slant-Pros he sticks on everything. :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.