1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can
prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats and
that's it. Everything wears out eventually.
Speeding up your heart will not make you live
longer; that's like saying you can extend the life
of your car by driving it faster.

Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits
and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What
does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are
these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more
than an efficient mechanism of delivering
vegetables to your system.

Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good
source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And
a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended
daily allowance of vegetable slop.

Q: Is beer or wine bad for me?

A: Look, it goes to the earlier point about fruits
and vegetables. As we all know, scientists divide
everything in the world into three categories:
animal, mineral, and vegetable. We all know that
beer and wine are not animal, and they are not on
the periodic table of elements, so that only
leaves one thing, right?

My advice: Have a burger and a beer and enjoy your
liquid vegetables.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body
fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two
bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: You're not listening. Foods are fried these
days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated
in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad
for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a
little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it
gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if
you want a bigger stomach.

I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you
may have had.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ROTFLMAO!!!
I remember a certain astronaut espousing that heartbeat theory. I said to myself, self that's interesting, and I went on my merry way stressing my body out. Then I read about a marathon runner in my neighborhood, dropping over dead while on a practice run. If I remember right he was in his early 30's. Prime physical specimen. Bells go off in my pea brain. Hey remember that article about what the astronaut said? Yes self I remember, and he must have been right.
So...I retire to preserve my health. Mrs. says I would have been dead by now if I hadn't retired. Everything is fine. Except that I put on a couple (lol) of pounds, I can deal with it. I'm only a little slower than I used to be. And life goes on fine, I'm preserving heartbeats.
Soooo..this week-end I take a 16 hour live fire defensive handgun class. Loved every minute of it. Except when I was out of breath, shakey and achey. Just kidding...I loved it even then. My wife offered to draw me a hot bath when I got home. Macho man here declined. I survived the class and as a result I can now hit the broad side of a barn and probably lost a couple of pounds too.
Moral of the story from my perspective?
Keep your body limber/flexible, don't exceed heartbeats, and train, practice, train and practice handgun skills.

Best regards and be safe
pete
A truly wise man realizes how unwise he really is

G

·
0 Posts
Ok,
So Seinfeld is not a physical fitness expert, I still like that monologue, actually enough that I printed it from his interview. Since my days of waking at O'dark hundred and running each morning I have progressively gained weight each year or so.
I returned to running and I have always lifted weights to preserve my strength and muscle mass but I prefer to be in the 260lbs range, I am not looking forward to 300lbs. Who has a good diet that can followed while traveling, that is made up of food that can be purchased/eaten out?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-09 22:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David,

I have had great sucess with the Atkins diet for saeveral years. I balooned to 200 lbs on a small boned 5-9 frame. Pissed me off. I've been at 160 for years now and only rarely go back on it, mostly after the holidays. I havent had to do his drastic starter diet since I did it the first time, just need to modify my eating of carbs till the slight excess is gone.

But, if you like carbs as much as I do, it isnt a easy first two weeks. Don't let the bad press this diet has recieved bother you too much, the studies have pretty much been sponsored by the whheat council. In Lousiana, they have a modified version of it available in the better restaurants called the sugar busters diet, pretty close to adkins.

Or simply really, really cut back on sugar and carbs, see what it does, it might be all you need.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sheesh...don't even mention Louisiana in the same breath as diet!

I've never seen so much butter and general fat of all kinds that tastes so good!!!

I do miss the food!!!

:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Pete,
It used to be much easier and in my competitive bodybuilding days it was realtively "easy" to stay in range. I beleive it has been said before and will be said again but getting "old" really stinks.
I am not that far from optimum and I am in pretty good shape but I cannot lose the extra 25lbs and at 6'2" with a large frame I used to have a 32" waist at 245lbs, I dont even want to disclose what it is now.
What is the Atkins "crash" diet?

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I hit 30 in '90, It seemed that gaining pants sizes became way too easy. After trying a lot of different approaches(always include strength/cardio) I hit on something that works very well for me(even on the road). Whatever the hours for my day are, I always make sure that my largest meal is the middle one. When staying in a motel, I keep yogurt and dense whole grain breads in the room. Small snack/meals for the rest of the day are the rule. Works for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the adkins diet goes like this.

First two weeks, no more than 20 carbs a day, thats called the induction par of the diet. YOu will probably lose somewhere in the 10 to 15 lb range the first 3 weeks.

The second part is easier, You star to add carbs back till you get to losong about 2-3 lbs a week till you hit your target weight.

Next you add more carbs to maintain your target weight.

Pretty easy. Go to a barnes and noble book store and get his paperback, think its called " the adkins new diet revolution " or something like that.

Will work great.

Gyp-c2: Thats the exact reason the mayor and many city council persons came out with the chefs to innaugerate the start of the Sugar busters diet in Louisianna. So many fine restaurants, but so many severely overweight people as well. As you said, its unbelievable the way they cook, but man the food is good.
yummy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-06-10 23:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-06-10 23:32 ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts