Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kimber has a bit of drag in the trigger pull, apparent only when the slide is on the gun. I'm figuring that the disconnector is dragging a bit on the slide, and there are drag marks on the rear of the disc. notch in the slide. Question: will scraping the disc. notch in the slide solve this, and how much is too much to scrape?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Brownells sells a tool just for this. It is a small square lathe bit mounted in a screwdriver handle. It is ground to the correct width to fit the notch. Usually, the drag is in the front side of the notch. Old time smiths just drilled a hole at the point of drag. Scraping is better IMO. Scrape just enough to stop the drag. Do not extend the notch forward, just make it deeper.

Some also stake the front of the disconnector hole in the frame to reduce wobble, but you can screw it up if you don't know where you are going with that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BBBBill on 2001-04-29 14:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, if you scrape out the radius in the slide and do it without chatter (which takes some practice) you are on the right track.
I have seen disconnectors that begged for a very (very) light going over of the sharp edges with a fine Arkansas stone. Some stainless disconnectors I've seen lately are a lost cause. Slight differences in mfg tolerances may suggest a bit of interchange, looking for a better fit (no drag or click). Then, I would suggest anointing the disconnector radius in the slide with the sample of dry lube you are going to receive.(That's what I do.)
Staking a disconnector hole in the slide is a sure and certain mark of the very lowest form of gun butchery. It wouldn't work properly for any length of time, anyway. The professional method is to ream it out oversize and insert a properly dimensioned, reamed and angled bushing, which in the old days was silver soldered or today could be a press fit, set in place with red Loctite. This is a long, always aggravating process, but it is only resorted to as a last desperate measure to save a frame. I have not seen one this bad since the Remington Rand pistols disappeared into collections. But, what the hey, some of these clone makers are re-inventing the entire concept of tolerance drift. Thankew, computer programmed machine tools!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll have to take John's word on staking. Never done it myself 'cause I couldn't really see the use when I could just scrape the slot/notch, but I've seen plenty on older guns supposedly done by some top smiths. MIM disconnectors are sometimes problematic, especially on S80 Colt's( I've replaced every one I come across with a plain old GI milled disconnector). Follow his advice on GENTLY breaking the edges.

·
Registered
446 Posts
disc notch in slide

I have always kept a mounted wheel shaped to fit the notch in the slide. With it in a Dremel just one careful touch is all thats needed. I will show pics of some before and after shortly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts