Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yup...got one..mine is about same size as my 5" gun. Built on an SV frame in 38 super. Runs great. Going to have another built on a single stack, hopefully soon. You got any photos of your carry comp? I think they are pretty cool.
Had to modify some techniques for self-defense shooting, but I feel pretty comfortable carrying it when I do.

G

·
Back in 90, 91 while on assignment in South Africa I carried a custom .45 Winchester Magnum 1911 with a carry comp fitted by Austin Behlert.

The gun started life as a blued LAR Grizzly 6.5" .45 Win Magnum and Austin reduced the slide length to 4" then welded/blended his excellent comp to the slide for a very clean and seamless 5.25" installation.
I also had him round the trigger guard and work the frame profile to allow for use in most 1911 holsters, I had a friend at the PA Rifle work up a load using the excellent Hornandy 270gr FP FMJ at 1,300fps that would print into 3" @ 25 yards (I know this is not great by today's standards but this was a comped .45 WM).

I went to the .45 Win Magnum at the time due to relatively “poor” results from the .45acp. We were restricted to using FMJ/non-expanding ammo at the time and issued/restricted to concealed carry of handguns 1911s in this case.
(Let me explain, the .45 acp was working but not quickly enough, on one occasion I stitched an individual four times in the center mass/chest and he responded by shredding the wall I was leaning (hiding) against with about 20 rds of 7.62mm.
I quickly ran out of ammo as their numbers were overwhelming and with only three men on our team we were taking far too much return fire during the confrontation and the rifle rounds destroyed every piece of decent cover available in the residence.
I learned a new respect for the 7.62mm’s penetration capabilities, as those rounds seemed to shoot through everything. The .45acp did prove fatal and they lost seven men and I am quite sure that at least 4 were seriously wounded, but these guys were not going down fast enough and flat out I am not a good enough shot to make head shots while I am running for my life, if you can more power to you.)

I had purchased the Grizzly before the trip/move for defensive use against large animals while in SA (I actually never needed it for "animals" of the 4 legged variety). After the first few failures/confrontations I searched for at least one 10mm, I did find multiple .38 Supers but I knew we needed to pack as much power under the sport coats as possible.
Without authorization for automatic weapons, even shotguns would have been preferred I could not locate one in time so the custom .45WM went into service.

(The restriction to handguns was due mainly to the fact that our principle was a public figure with his own news correspondent and staff photographer and he refused all authorizations for heavy weapons/carbines, JHP ammo. He was a staunch anti-gun supporter and he followed the regulations of his govt. to the letter. (Funny thing is how much his views have changed. After being reassigned, he moved to Northern Ireland as a special prosecutor until 1997 then relocated to NY and opened a string of “Irish” restaurants in Phila, PA. Cincinatti, Ohio. and NYC. One confrontation in his restaurant lead to four men “appearing” in his home during dinner with his family. He called in my team and we were able to resolve the issues that were hindering his new business venture and we trained two full time security personnel for his family.
Last year he graduated from Gunsite’s 250 course and he has begun to see the “merit” in civilian ownership of personal firearms.)

Using only a handgun against guerrillas/home pirates and poachers armed with .308 G3s and Galils was not "big" on my list but the .45 Win Magnum proved to be very effective and controllable with the comp.
The comps only disadvantage was the fireball that came out of the dual ports but the Behlert angle kept the massive .45 WM gases held nicely about 12" above the front sight.
When using a comp to increase the “power” factor or the controllability I believe that if the gun is properly designed and built the comp can be a huge asset with relatively minor drawbacks.

If the comp works well for you and is designed for your methods of carry I would say absolutely, use it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow! Is a movie in the works? :grin:

G

·
Wise Acre....
Belive me there is little to be interested in, the story is always better than the reality.
I am much happier to remember those days than to ever return to them.

You do what you need to do to make a living and hopefully you build something successfully out of it.

These days my main goal is to heal my hands and be able to return to active shooting/training as a hobby and enjoy my children and our family.

Go shoot, travel, and end the decade with stories of your own.

614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry eerw no pics I don`t have a scanner or a camera.I will try to borrow my step mothers this week to get a pic.My Carry comp is a Para P-14 frame with a Springfield Armory Defender top end cut down with a duel port comp and 2 ports on the sides of the comp.The front sight is also on the comp and not on the slide.It is a tac driver with very little kick.Thanks for the interest.I also have built it myself.It is my first.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Feh! Screw the movies. I say go with a book deal. Give yourself a fancy shmancy nickname like Rogue Hamsterslayer.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have a G20c that works real well, I had
Novak's fit a Bar-Sto barrel and I sent it
to Leading Edge Tool to be Hyper-Ported.
I've shot it at night, and believe it or not
barely even noticed a flash!
I also have Pete Carber at Custom Arms Co.
(formerly at Behlert)building my Delta Elite
Carry-Comp, A best grade gun that hopefully
I'll be shooting soon-the drool it starting
to spill over my drool-cup!

·
Registered
580 Posts
On 2001-10-14 23:26, M. Hall wrote:
I have a G20c that......
I sent to Leading Edge Tool to be Hyper-Ported.
Do you notice much improvement with the Hyper-porting over OEM? TIA.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Actually just maybe a little bit. I only
did it this way because I wanted a Bar-Sto
barrel. I was going to have Mag-na-port do
the porting, but I think there may be some
bad blood between Bar-Sto and Mag-na-port,
because they refused to do it. Which was
o.k. with me because Leading Edge did just
as nice a job, faster and cheaper.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hi eerw,
Alas no, since I know Pete Single has at
least a 8 week wait for checkering, and
figure time for the blueing, best possible
time for delivery is probably 3 months.
Pete Carber has had it since march 2001,
and has been working diligently(he calls
to tell me progress reports-he's too cool).
I've been salivating wildly and chomping at
the bit!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.