Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Kimber Eclipse II, folks are telling me to have the full length guide rod replaced with a short, so that I can field strip easier and use shock buffs more reliably. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Other than having to bring a bushing wrench with you (a whopping $2.50 tool), there is really no "field stripping" disadvantage to the FLGR.

I have shock-buffs in 4 1911 clones; all have FLGR's and none have problems with the buffers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kimber uses a two piece guide rod that you disassemble prior to turning the bushing. A bushing tool isn't critical (I stripped and reassembled mine last night without it) but helps.

The only problem I have with the guide rod is that it doesn't remain tight. I have to tighten it back down every so often, which gets irritating but is relatively minor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are tons of opinions floating around about FLGR's. In fact, depending upon where and who you ask you'll hear a large collective groan emit from the forum to the effect of "not this again...." It's right up there with the dreaded "should I be using a shock buffer" question. Both these issues have been addressed many times over and you should be able to find threads on them through a search.

I think the consensus is that they are NOT necessary for reliability. Some people just feel better with or without them.

I prefer short guide rods. But, if I were to have a FLGR in my pistol, it would be a one piece. I had a two piece and it *can* loosen up. I would never trust a two piece FLGR in a defensive pistol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.