Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
On 2001-05-28 22:13, 38 Super Combat Commander wrote:
Do you carry a backup gun? If so what kind of gun and where do you carry it?
Yep, and in keeping with the idea that I might actually have to use it, it is major caliber and available to either hand.

The bad news is that I am a hopeless gun nut and though I would never consider leaving home without my 1911 I do vary my backup gun (probably not all that great an idea :smile:). Normally it is a Glock 23 but at times I carry a chopped 1917 S&W .45 or lately a custom S&W 58 which I converted to .44 Mag.

"overgunned" and "overkill" are not words which I regard seriously :grin: - at least not in general terms. That does not mean I suggest carrying a gun one can't handle.

Carry on,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kel Tec 9MM, either right or left front pocket, depending on where the primary is carried, strong side right or left. When I wear a vest, third gun is carried on vest. On occasion a gun will be carried in an ankle holster. GLV

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is currently the S&W 642 with Proload 110GDJHP. I carry it in the Alessi ankle holster, unless I'm wearing short boots. Then, it goes in the Bianchi Triad.

Favorite pocket holster is from Pocket Concealment Systems. I'm currently trying the Uncle Mike pocket holster and it works as advertised.

Rich

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yep, the old S&W Model 38 in my left side
pocket, or occaisionally on my ankle.

G

·
Yes,
On my time or on contract work, it is a second 1911 in .45acp/10mm in a left hand Rosen ARG or a commander/officers model in a cross draw Kramer rig.
When traveling it is often a 342pd in an Alessi ankle rig.
In the "wild" it is often a second S&W 629 carried in a Garrity belt Scabbard.
Although, Over the past year I have become increasingly fond of a basic "stock" 4" model 57 .41 Magnum in a cross draw rig.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-11 19:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
David...any pics of the scabbard? I need one.

My primary is a 1911 in 9x23, or .45; most commonly backed by a SW940 in 9x23; backed by either a switch by Darrel Ralph or a fixed blade by either Newt Livesay or Darrel; backed by what's in the truck :grin:

In the woods it is a SW 627 PC, or a .44 maggie, although I continue to be impressed by any number of offerings in 45LC.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I do not carry a backup gun but I carry back up gear. I always have a pocketknife clipped to my pocket, in the same place every day and on occasion when walking with my kids I carry an ASP baton in open sight in the stroller or a can of pepper spray. I think back up guns are a good idea, and if I had a light quality gun perhaps I would carry it as a second. But, in my case I prefer to have other less lethal options. I am ready to shoot to defend my family, but if some group of 2-3 15 year olds are getting agressive I like to have the option of pepper spray or popping one in the arm or leg with the baton if I feel violent force is warranted. Please don't misunderstand, I know that a 15 year old can kill you just as easily as a 240 lb convicted felon can, but if I am going to carry extra gear I lean towards a flashlight, extra mags (always at least one, but maybe more), pepper spray, the asp baton, or a cell phone. Of course, I am not an LEO and I do not expect confrontation when I step out the door, if I did I would stay inside. If I were an LEO or a civilian that was expecting trouble then I would carry a second gun, maybe even three. The trouble with my logic is that real trouble is seldom expected before it arises. Is my choice a good one? Time will tell, but these are my thoughts. Those of you that do carry a second gun, do you carry a flashlight, a cell phone, spare ammo, pepper spray? Good shooting. Jake

G

·
Bruce,
I don't believe it is "letting the cat out of the bag" but I have been working with master Italian Craftsman Lou Alessi to develop a "new" (subjective term) IWB N frame holster.

I explained my needs to Lou and what I feel works and does not work and it is in process, with a few more "tweaks" it will be "perfect" for me at least....

I will be more than glad to post a big pic when we are done.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A G-26 loaded with Ranger SXT 124 gr +P+ all day, every day in Lou's ankle rig.

For shorts and beach wear it is either a Gunsite Custom S&W Model 38, Airweight Bodyguard or at times a Walther TPH both carried in a Thad Rybka pocket rig or an Uncle Mikes pocket rig.

Rob

·
Registered
283 Posts
On the job, it's got to be an issue G-26 in a pocket, belt, or shoulder holster, depending on attire. B/U to issue G-19. Off duty, I carry a Wilson or Baer .45, along with a Walther TPH in a pocket or ankle holster. On and off duty, I carry a LARGE Gunsite Cold Steel Tanto everywhere, along with a Sure Fire 6Z. Back up guns are a great idea, but spare ammunition is oft-times more useful and tactically sound than a duplicate full-size firearm. For civilians, less-than-lethal forms of defense are more practical and legally defensible than more guns. The best defense is a strong sense of tactical awareness - and staying out of trouble-prone areas. When going in harm's way (and depending on the mission), I choose to carry water, food, my Steyr AUG with (as many as) 24 42-round magazines, a bunch of bandoliers of .223 on stripper clips, and my G-19 with six spare magazines. I'd rather have more water and/or ammo than lug around another long gun and another handgun. Frags and claymores would be my next items for an extended combat op. For LE purposes, skip the frags and claymores and substitute flash-bangs and tear/pepper gas.

G

·
Here is a pic of one of my "backup" guns it is a model 629 cut to 3", un-fluted cylinder,
K frame round but w/Spegel Cocobolo grips, Wolff springs, Brown cylinder release, full carry bevel, chamfered and polished cylinders, all trigger parts and moving parts were polished to 2000 grit and hand finished with a fine jewelers rouge.
Tritium sights and the action breaks perfectly @ 7lbs DA only as some times I will wear it in a cargo or jacket pocket.

With my chosen carry load the Winchester Ranger T 250gr JHP it will shoot 3 rds into 1.7” @ 25 yards (S&W barrel).

*Also, I apologize for the large pic my camera experienced a technical glitch as the photographer was holding the resolution button down so it came out rather BIG....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-30 21:56 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.