Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a real boner over the mothers day weekend and since I still feel stupid about it I thought I would take a poll and find out if anyone else has ever done it. I did a quick fishing trip to Corpus Christi TX , with a couple of buddys on the Friday before mothers day. Got up Sat. morn. about 4:00am blew out of the hotel put about 7 hours on the road to get home for a mothers day function. I got home started unpacking and realized I had left my fanny pack with a beretta tomcat and a ernest emerson knife in the hotel room. Now to the credit of the Red Roof Inn they had found the pack and stashed it in the safe (after turning the tomcat over to the Corpus PD) for safe keeping. The property room clerk thought it was great fun as did all the officers in the room when I came back the next week to pick it up. They told me a Okla police chaplin had left badge ,gun and cuffs the week before but they may have been trying to make me feel a little less foolish. I spend about 50 nights a year away from home and I promise I have never done this before. So come on guys make me feel a better by relating a story worse than mine.
Thanks
Gerald

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm a Cop in the midwest, and although I have never Left mine in a hotel, got a call from the local Days Inn that a gun was found in a room. Turns out that the guy who hade stayed in the room was a cop from another state, but the gun did not belong to him. It belonged to his girlfriend.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
You don't want to know how many times I left a nice 1911 in lock up at the sally port after a 36 hours of being in the same clothes and delivering a prisoner.

Funny part was the jail staff never gave me grief or even a chuckle, as I was apparently not the only one with such a por memory.

On the other hand the jail would "rock" when the inmates had a bird's eye few of me locking myself out of the transport van more than once :wink:

On of the best was a HK P7 and AlMar that got left on the truck bumper after lake patrol. This was 1985 and few had seen a P7 and the folks who found it and the officer who was called couldn't figure out how to fire it.

Geeze, at least it was your room!

· Registered
372 Posts
Dane,

You carried a P7? What did you think of it? I might be wrong, but this is the first time I've seen you reference a gun here on the forum other than a Glock or 1911? Did you like the P7? :smile:

· Registered
3,552 Posts
I ran with some pretty worldly and esoteric gunmen when I first had a glimmer of self defense and lethal force. The P7 (I owned and used one later) was the "big man's".

Squared away guy who knew is stuff and took pity on me. P7 was his traveling gun. His real gun was a 1911.

My first real *carry* gun wasn't a 1911. My own gun at the time wzs nothing more than an early comp gun. The gun I borrowed and used a a CCW was an original CZ 75. I shot it maybe a bit better than the 1911 up close and at speed. I still have one of that generation.

For a 9mm it would still be my fist choice.
HP was my second along with a Smith 58.

Earlier in the '70s I had a 59 Smith but I had no more idea on what I was doing with that gun that I do about flying the space shuttle so that one doesn't count. I think Starsky and Hutch had something to do with the pick on that one :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-13 22:45 ]</font>

· Registered
372 Posts
Dane,

Thanks for the heads up on the P7. My next door neighbor owns a P7M13, and I've got to handle it a few times. I really like the way the gun pointed and the way it fit my hand. It was more like a natural extension of my arm.

I can honestly say I have never left a gun laying somewhere hehehe. Doesn't mean it won't happen in the future thou :wink:

Speaking of my neighbor, I wish HE would leave some of his stuff laying on his bumper. He's got a pretty nice Form 4
item I wouldn't mind owning:
It would be cool to walk out by the garage and have a MP5 laying there :grin:

· Registered
77 Posts
I left a custom super match M1A on Petraca range at Camp Perry over a lunch break when I was about 13 YO. The USMC rifle team took it into their safekeeping while I was off eating some crap food on commercial row. I've never left any firearm lying around since. I have posted subordinates to watch crew served weapons that I was responsible for, and had them walk off, leaving the gun there. That happened once, and I doubt it will ever happen again. It's very hard to dig a machine gun pit at sea level, 20 feet from the ocean. I think he learned his lesson. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

· Registered
351 Posts
I've shot a P7, and I think it's the only gun that totally fits perfect POA for just about everyone. It was also a great shooting little blaster. <sigh> I need one....
DAMN, my brother has one, I forgot about that. Now I have to go steal his.

Okay, my gun left behind;
We were doing a show, no loaded guns in the place, so I left it in the store truck. It wasn't until much later than I figured out that the owner had left with the keys. I almost broke into the truck just to get my poor defender back...

The owner of the store had his 220 in a fanny pack once. Went to the movies, had a nice meal, realized he hadn't seen his bag since the movies. Went back, found it still hanging there.

As long as you get your gun in teh end, I think it's a lesson learned :smile:

· Registered
555 Posts
On 2001-06-14 02:32, EchoFiveMike wrote:
I left a custom super match M1A on Petraca range at Camp Perry over a lunch break when I was about 13 YO. The USMC rifle team took it into their safekeeping while I was off eating some crap food on commercial row. I've never left any firearm lying around since. I have posted subordinates to watch crew served weapons that I was responsible for, and had them walk off, leaving the gun there. That happened once, and I doubt it will ever happen again. It's very hard to dig a machine gun pit at sea level, 20 feet from the ocean. I think he learned his lesson. Semper Fidelis...Ken M
So what did the Marines make you do to get your rifle back? :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.