Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Horror Story:

Life depends on gun (S&W 686). Gun hangs on wall when not on hip. Passerby (me) takes down unloaded gun for a random inspection. Passerby finds gun with lint/dust/particulate in every nook and cranny. Barrel fouled with lead so think you could get brain damage just looking at it.

Closer exam finds that the firing pin is sticking out into the cylinder. Not understanding why this particular gun was different from the other 686's, I tried to dryfire it a few times. The pin never moved. Other guns show the pin moving in and out with the hammerstrike. Not good.

It took a blow from a hammer to get the pin back into place and even then you only had one shot. Though I didn't gap the pin, I'll go out on a limb and say that it was riding against the primer when the cylinder was fully loaded!

Needless to say, management was notified, as was the gun's user, and the weapon has been removed from inventory. Said user, when questioned on the condition of the weapon, stated that he thought the vault crew was taking care of them so he didn't bother.

Never mind that the visible dust and gunk on the weapon should have served as an indicator! &@#^$ IDIOT.

Moral: NEVER, EVER trust someone else to maintain a weapon that you will bet your life on. You will live or die by the condition of your sidearm and it is your responsibility to see that it is operating within normal parameters.

And, no, we don't have any kind of armourer. We have a few cleaning kits and everybody tends to their gear (or is supposed to) in a manner they see fit. It's usually an ignorant manner, when it exists at all, but it was good enough for papa's flintlock and so will do just fine for these ones. That's the logic.

Good night.

· Registered
75 Posts
Shane, all weapons are assigned to an individual but because they are all hanging on pegboard, it is possible to accidentally grab the one next to yours. I solved this problem by simply memorizing my serial number and am sure to check it every morning.

We used to carry our weapons home, but after three burglaries and three stolen company weapons, the company decided to keep them locked on site. Our vault is far more secure than any house!

You guys would definitely be surprised at the lazy attitude people take towards a weapon that might just save their bacon one day.

· Registered
75 Posts
How do you go about getting certified as an armourer? I'd love to be able to break down our Rem 870's or S&W 686's. The company won't pay for it, but I wouldn't mind the cost if it meant I could fix guns as they break.

Heck, maybe I can talk them into giving me an ammo budget so I can perform field-suitability tests on all the guns!!! :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.