Pistol Smith Forum banner

EAA Witness or CZ75....9x23?

8K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  gunfan 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if this can be done successfully for a reasonable sum?
I handled a new EAA in 45ACP and 40S&W today...The 40 felt great, it was tight and smooth and had the two-tone finish whatever they call it...There was such a bad feel to the 45 I put it down immediately...The 40 actually felt...well...good!
That's weird,I know, but it did and if they'd had one set up the same, with that "feel" in 10mm, I'd have it on top of my scanner right now...
Just wondered if the 9x23 would work without having to re-engineer the whole pistol...
I think I'll buy one in 10mm anyhow.
The CZ popped in my mind at the same time. Anyone got the scoop on that?

:wink:

#3 ·
Why?
I know why I'm attracted, but what do you like about them?

..!MOLON LABE!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-04-17 13:42 ]</font>

#4 ·
I have an EAA Witness that was originally a .38 S and I had another barrel reamed out to the correct dimensions of the 9x23.

The gun is a hefty, holds 18 rounds in the mag and that adds even more heft.

I have had an occassionaly failure to extract malf in 9x23, but that mag bind problem that I would get from the .38 S has disappeared. The pistol has proven to be nicely accurate in both calibers.

Dane has advised me that the Witness is not tough enough for the 9x23. I believe it was a slide stop or a barrel weakness. As of yet (about 500-700 rounds of both Winchester loads) I have had no problems and to tell the truth I am not worried about any potential gun failures. I figure at 290 for the pistol and a total of like 300 into the pistol, it is just a beater to be BEATEN!

I have actually gotten fairly hot #s from the CorBon 115gr and 125gr .38 S jhps. 1460fps for the 115gr and 125gr was at 1420fps if memory serves me correctly. . .

Derek

#5 ·
Thanks! Could you tell me where they are available? I saw a 45, 40s&w, and a 9mm...The 40 actually felt great but the 45 was too bulky...I'm actually hoping to find a 10mm...I wouldn't miss the 9x23 if I could locate one of those...weeelll...maybe a little!

Thanks again...

..!MOLON LABE!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-04-19 23:20 ]</font>

#6 ·
I had seen the .38 S in a CDNN catalog back in '96 and scarfed it up. I have seen one on gunbroker.com a few weeks ago, but none as of lately.

I know that they (EAA) have caliber conversions for their pistols. So if you can't find a .38 S, in theory this is mind you, you could buy a .45acp/10mm and use a .38 S conversion. In theory that is! If it is a true, I dunno.

Derek

#7 ·
Yep, the caliber converts can be had at Brownells. My EAA Witness Tanfaglio in .45ACP hasn't missed a stroke and when I carry it to IDPA, it smokes 'um. It lays them where you place them at POA. It is my best .45 shooter, not saying a whole lot, but it beats out two of my Stars and an HK USPc.

Ed

#8 ·
Yup...that's what I've heard...I really liked the way that one in 40s&w felt...Just don't care for the caliber...Now...a 10mm...that's a lil' more like it. If it has that same size or feel to it, I'm sold! I'd even take a 9mm. BTW...Is your Witness a 45/10 convertible?

Thanks

#9 ·
Gyp......Yes to answer your question on the .45/10mm portion. As you know, the Witness is a knock off of the CZ. The Witness is a full size piece and it is big compared to what is on the market today (you know, the plastic stuff). It can be carried concealed, but damn, you might need suspenders to help. It can get expensive by having the ability to convert back and forth to the .45 vs 10mm. I think the 10mm conversion was about $240.00, and then the cost of the 10mm mags (they are getting scarce), then the ammo thing. Debates can go on for years however about the calibers. Some guns of the same caliber shoot better than others, kick in the different ammo, put the size of the person in the equation, the size of their hands, it all boils down to what suits the individual. Hope you make the choice that suits you and then shoot the barrel out of it.

Ed

#11 ·
I'm thinking of getting a .38 Super conversion kit for my .45 witness-p. Does anyone know if i can use my same magazines or do i have to get .38 S mags? IF so are hi-caps available?

#12 ·
I was curious, so I did a google search and found this...May be a bit "racy" for some of us...

:eek:
http://www.eaacorp.com/

..!MOLON LABE!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-04-26 17:30 ]</font>

#15 ·
Hey...I know and "love" that term...Is it the pistol or the cartridge that you're "posing"?

..!MOLON LABE!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-05-09 13:21 ]</font>

#17 ·
why exactly..I think more trouble to get it to run..
but a bit of my made up history..
round existed before 10mm and the 40..so a bigger bullet between the 9mm and 45acp.. also because of teh rebated rim you could convert a 9mm gun by swapping barrel and mags...however. very difficult to get the slide to strip the round off the mag because of the rebated rim...

I'd rather go the the other way..10mm/40 and fit a .357 sig barrel.but I won't..

#18 ·
I guess that's why it's packaged this way...Two barrels, two magazines, The 41AE is the same size rim as the 9mm I think...So...it'd work for the same size rimmed cartridge...9mm of different flavors?

What about the pistol itself?

#19 ·
OK I kinda came in in the middle here, are you aware that the combo's are for two different frame sizes? The 45/10mm IS the large (bulky) frame and the 9mm/40s&w is the real nice fitting frame.(the one that I like)And never the twain shall meet! I dunno maybe I'm just being a buttinowsky! Just tring to help. Thanksbye!

#21 ·
i have an eaa witness full size in 45 acp and it shoots great. wherever you line up the sights, thats where the bullet goes, every time. however i have had some quirks with it. first and foremost, the trigger. i replaced it with a single-action trigger which is adjustable for both take-up and overtravel. then i replaced the sear assembly with one that has a longer ejector. was getting somkestack jams on occasion. other than that, the only trouble ive had is with ammo. mine absolutely refuses to feed semiwadcutters, they jam up right on the chamber throat and actually shave or peel off some of the brass. havent yet figured out why(anyone with suggestions?). no matter, i switched to 225 gr. truncated flat points, they work perfectly. hope this helps.

#23 ·
WITNESS CONVERSIONS and STUFF

One 'small-frame' dedicated to 9x19, both hard-fit Nowlin tube ('cause the stocker slugged at .3596") and 'chromed by Mr. Cogan at AP&W; one 'small-frame' that runs a separate 40 S&W top, and 9x19, 9x21, and 41 AE with its original slide; one 'large-frame' purchased in 45 ACP, but so unreliable in its function that I stuck a 38 Super on it and pretty much left it that way.
I suppose I can stick a ten-mm top on it, but I am led to belive the the 10mm Witness is slightly re-engineered for that cartridge.

I kept the totally unreliable 45 version because it was so stinkin' accurate. When I stuck the 38 Super top on it (long slide, SuperSight, dovetailed front) it went 100% reliable and it, too is unbelievably accurate, with groups under 2" the norm (no, not them 7 yd groups).

They all exhibit uncanny accuracy and reliability except as noted. The dedicated nine has the official $hit-load of rds through it, with some small portion in the "Screw SAAMI / Major Nine / test ammo" category.
The 41 AE and 38 Super set-ups have never failed. The 'chrome nine ditto if the cartridge fits the chamber (tight, that Nowlin), and the 40 S&W hasn't had enough thousands of rds through it to say one way or the other (what IS the 40 S&W for?).
The 9x21 is two-ported, and that set-up hasn't puked either, and it ONLY shoots Major. Oh, even new Sissy Major.

Someday I'll buy one in 10.
Married.

Your results may vary.

#24 ·
The large frame Tanfoglios are all the same frame... the 10mm is not engineered differently. If you want to get a 10mm top-end for your .45 ACP/ .38 Super, go right ahead. $225 shipped from savvysurvivor.com, comes with 1 10 round magazine.

I bought my Witness as a 10mm NIB. I've added a 6 inch match grade barrel, a B-Square weaver rail mount, and a Bushnell HoloSight. Its a deer slayer now. I also have a .22LR kit for all-day plinking fun. Enjoy!

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/617299.jpg

-iNJ

#25 ·
My EAA Witness in 10mm is not a real "tack driver," but its accuracy IS "combat acceptable." This "bad boy" will do the job if called upon to defend me and mine. I would like to obtain their "Camo Hunter" (6" barrel and slide) and have it refinished in Tanfoglio's "wonder" finish. This should be a superb antipersonnel weapon, as I prefer longslide (read longer barreled) pistols in this caliber. On the whole, they tend to extricate the most power from this powerful cartridge and enhance its terminal ballistics.

The "hunter" should prove to be quite the package. Personally, I would like to obtain just the slide and barrel assembly from this pistol for a multitude of reasons, power and accuracy being of primary import.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.