Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any personal experience with this weapon in 10MM? How is the trigger, reliability?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a full sized 10mm Witness in "Wonder finish" (Tanfoglio`s european site says it`s silver tennifer,yes the stuff they use on Glocks). I paid something like $340 for it which I think is pretty good for what I got. The finish is nice and even and seems to be very tough. Fit is good but not great,slide to frame could be tighter. The fine grooves on the top of the slide aren`t all perfectly uniform but that`s nit picking. The trigger was a little creepy/ gritty but has smoothed out nicely over a few hundred rounds. It`s not bad at all now. I did some research on it before hand and replaced the 16lb. recoil spring with a 20lb. Wolff right away as I intended to shoot mostly *real* 10mm ammo through it,not warm .40 loads in a 10mm case like some makers load em. Reliability has been good with everything except Corbon`s 180gr.JSP/1320fps load. This one causes the top round in the magazine to shift foreward under recoil and activate the slide stop from time to time. I`m told the fix is to simply use stronger magazine springs. I just installed a +10% Wolff tonight,I`ll have to see how it works at the range. In general it`s a solid gun, reasonably accurate (but not fantastic,or maybe that`s me), fun to shoot and inexpensive. Recoil is 9mm mild with .40 level loads, mid range 10mm feels like .40 in a lightweight gun and the real full power 10mm is pretty brisk but still not as bad a hot .357 loads in a 4" revolver. Those loads are also LOUD! It has a very distinctive bark that more than once has brought guys from the next bench over to ask "Wow,what caliber is that thing?". It also tends to clear out the spaces next to you at indoor ranges rather quickly. :smile: I`d buy one again. Marcus

·
Registered
140 Posts
I will soon be taking possession of two new Witness 10mm's, in their full size, blued configuration. I already have mags, and a variety of Wolff springs with which to experiment. I look forward to sharing my experiences.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I had one and I pretty much agree with with the above sentiments.

+ Reliable
+ Good value
+ Excellent ergonomics
+ Can carry cocked-and-locked
+ Mild felt recoil
- Kind of crudely finished
- Trigger just OK
- Accuracy just OK

Only warning is make sure that you have the newer magazines with the red followers, on the off chance you have the old magazines get some new ones form EAA because they are alot more reliable.

The basic concept (big steel 10mm with CZ-75 ergonomics and safety setup) is so cool that it almost makes me want to have one customized. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a "Witness" in 10mm. Liked it, but I guess that I was used to the smaller frame of the 9mm. So's I sold it. Everyone that shot it liked it, I just couldn't get used to the heavier gun with a bigger grip. I had a (still do) 10mm in an "IAI" "Javelina" with a 7" barrel, I was looking for a shorter 10mm. As far as choosing a good caliber' a 10mm is hard to beat!
Now as far as the "Witness" is conserned...does anyone have any info on their "match frame"? Like the one that I just bought? It's a match frame with a compact slide on it. EAA is no help. A nice gun, shoots great,......BUT WHATS A MATCH FRAME? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is a site that may be of help -
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg72-r.htm
might be a little difficult to read, but the pix are what is important anyway. Also a good site to just snoop around and see what the Russians have to say about world guns.

I own an EAA Witness in .45ACP with an extra slide with 10mm barrel, of course it is full sized and built by Tanfagilo of Italy. It could be blue or parkerized??. In .45ACP mode it is a kick a*s shooter and shoots where is is aimed, all the time. I shoot IDPA with it and on occasion, change to 10mm config. Don't know anything about the mag situation. I have never experienced any problems with the mags that came with it or with the extra mags that I have bought from CDNN.

I like both rounds, but I am more accurate with the .45ACP.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
For more info on 10mm witnesses, check http://home.earthlink.net/~gnappi/index.htm

about the match frame, it is a different in that it has a square trigger guard, checkered frame, drilled for scope mount and may come with wood grips. search http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp for witness frame.

i have a blue 45acp and really love it. i shoot idpa and it works really well. if i am using the right magazine! i have two - 1 factory with the red follower and one from Mec-Gar with a black follower. the Mec-Gar is great! it not only functions better (less failuer to feeds) but actually produces bettter groups. check http://www.ammoclip.com for mecgar mags.

hope that this helps

Peter

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a witness in 10mm, and it was a POS
FTF
FTE
Ejecting brass 20 feet or so to the right...etc
It prolly jammed 20% of the time with all ammo I tried.
Their service dept. is a joke.
It was stolen in transit, the service dept. signed for the ripped open, empty box.
Because it was signed for, insurance wouldn't cover anything.
The gun dealer it was sent by gave me full purchase price towards a new gun.
I think it was the cheapest lesson I ever learned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 10mm Witness has been a excellent shooting gun. I put an extra power firing pin spring and a 22lb recoil spring from Wolff. Its accurate, and I cant recall the last time it had a failure of any kind. It does throw brass a long ways though!

·
Registered
29 Posts
10mm eaa

I own a blued 10mm Witness. My complaints are very minor. The first was a heavy trigger pull which inproves over time. Secondly the gun needs a heavier recoil spring. I love the way the gun feels in my hand. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
A box stock, compact 10mm Witness in Wonderfinish is my CCW gun. Thus, it is reliable. The trigger is nearly perfect in SA mode - a bit creepy in DA. Not a factor as I always carry Condition One. The fit and finish is satisfactory, with the possible exception of the barrel hood, which looks like someone ran it through the lathe 2-3 times. However, the "ugliness" of the barrel does not affect the capabilities of this gun. Shoots all day long with anything I feed it.

I will agree with the others on this - the gun comes undersprung from the factory and EAA's customer service leaves something to be desired. Too bad Tanfoglio won't find another importer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A box stock, compact 10mm Witness in Wonderfinish is my CCW gun. Thus, it is reliable. The trigger is nearly perfect in SA mode - a bit creepy in DA. Not a factor as I always carry Condition One. The fit and finish is satisfactory, with the possible exception of the barrel hood, which looks like someone ran it through the lathe 2-3 times. However, the "ugliness" of the barrel does not affect the capabilities of this gun. Shoots all day long with anything I feed it.

I will agree with the others on this - the gun comes undersprung from the factory and EAA's customer service leaves something to be desired. Too bad Tanfoglio won't find another importer.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my Witness 10mm.
It's been a reliable performer, with 1 exception...
had a broken mag with about 600 rounds thru the gun.
EAA replaced it quickly with no fuss.

I'm building it into a deer hunting piece. Just needs a
6 inch barrel and I'm ready to go :)

-iNetJunkie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice pic...

iNetJunkie,

Have you posted similar pics over on the CZ Forum board?

If not, then you and someone else are thinking along the same lines in outfitting a full size Tan Witness in 10mm.

In spite of what I have experienced regarding the Tan Witness that I purchased, I'm very glad to see that someone gets one that works the way it should, "from the box". I guess that's just my luck, which is why I don't gamble or play the lottery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.