Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assimung an adequate supply of reused brass,
what are some economical pistol loads in 9mm Luger that will reliably cycle the action of automatic pistols and have average accuracy. This would be a practice load, so bullet type and terminal performance are not important.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have found that a low end load of AA-5 and
a 125gr lrn or plated bullet to be rather
good in several different 9mm's..I believe
that Unique has possibilites also..Again start on the low end..Keep them below 1000fps
and leading is no problem..
Get a good manual and go from there..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bear Creek 147gr. cast lead bullet on top of 2 grains of VV n-310, remington brass, winchester primer. It won't lock the slide back on the last shot, but it will cycle otherwise. The accuracy from my Sig 226 is spectacular- 1/2" at 50 feet! and recoil is likie a 22.

You can substitute any fast powder like bullseye or red-dot and any lead bullet. You could load 50 for about $3. Just work-up a load carefully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definately try that load with the Bear Creek cast lead. I am wondering though, if it doesn't lock the slide back, does it ever stovepipe? I am leaning somewhat towards jacketed bullets since these will be used on an indoor range at times. I am also leaning more towards something around 115gr. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It has not stovepiped yet. But this gun has not jammed once in the thousand or so rounds I put through it.

BTW, I tried Fed and CCI primers with this load, but they did not produce the spectacular accuracy that Winchester primers did.

Be careful and work up the load in .1 grain increments from 1.5 grains. My G&A article states that 2.4 grains is max with the 158grain Bear Creek bullet.( they resized them from .358" to .356" )

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am able to buy jhp's very reasonably from a local commercial reloader. I load them over 231 and am very happy. There is a sporting goods chain in the south (Academy) that from time to time sells Blazer 9mm for $2.99. When they do that, my buddy buys me a case and I shoot factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my Glock (my only 9mm), I have to shoot jacketed bullets. I like 124gr JHP's from Montana Gold. The 124's seem to shoot a lot better than the 115's in my gun.

I like to use a slower burning powder than W231 or Bullseye for loading the 9mm. I have used WSF, Unique, AA#5, and AA#7 with good results.

I use whatever primers I can get a good deal on...usually CCI or Winchesters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.