Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how good or otherwise is this weapon. Yes, I hope to have one this coming week in two-tone, but what of its build, reliability, accuracy as compared to many other custom weapons--Vickers, Heinie....

I do not mean to discredit ANY builder of ANY weapons, but only to determine the differences between the workmanship.

Many Thanks for your Opinon!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doc1911 on 2001-07-22 09:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
There was a thread, either here or on the old 1911 forum, where Vickers commented about the Ed Brown...compared to his built pistols.

Since you have purchased it, take it out and shoot hell out of it. Then come give us your view :smile: Enjoy it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just received a Ed Brown Bobtail Commander in 357Sig. This pistol is light years ahead of Wilson and Baer in cosmetics and function. I fired 200 rounds with no ejection problems and it was a blast to shoot. It produced 1" groups at 10 yards in rapid fire. Overall, it is just a wonderful pistol and the feeling in your hands is comfortable. As usual, Allan Yoast was great in making sure that everything was taken care of.

Jack

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would say that the Browns are a cut above the other "production custom" houses in quality and finish. More nicely fitted and finished than Baer and Wilson. And you can see and feel it, no doubt.

But they're still not a full custom by a top smith.

The good news is that they are available and not too expensive. If you talk to Terry Peters he'll share with you the number of hours that go into a Brown vs the labor hours in a Baer or Wilson. The extra dollars do go into extra hand work.

(ps I own Baer, Wilson, Brown and Vickers, and have shot them all quite a bit).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JiminCA on 2001-08-01 16:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please elaborate fellows...I have already decided that a Brown is next on the list...unless I get my paws on a used Concept 7 first...but no doubt a Class A Limited is forthcoming...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I own an all blued Classic Custom, three Wilson's (Stainless Protector, Protector Compact, and CQB Compact), and have a Les Baer Premier II on order. I have closely examined one Wilson Super Grade.

Side by Side, the Brown is by far at the top of the list. While all of these manufacturers produce reliable, accurate models, the workmanship on the Brown is outstanding. If there is a smith that produces a better slide to frame fit than Brown, I'd like to meet him. The fit on all of the parts is very precise. The finish is flawless.

Quite frankly, I don't know why the Browns are sometimes referred to as "semi-custom." There isn't anything "semi" about it. Many "custom" smiths use Brown parts.

If you're going to spend $2,500-$3,000 for a gun, I strongly recommend the Brown. It will look great in a display case and perform as well or better than any other make at the range. And, I'd be very surprised if you have to wait six months to a year or more for delivery.

Dennis D. Carter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis D. Carter on 2001-08-04 09:37 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.