Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see if anybody is shooting/carrying any of Ed Brown's 5" 1911s? Classic Custom, Class A Limited, Kobra? I know his parts are supposed to be tops, so is the same true of his complete guns? Looking for some input....

thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had a Kobra for about a month. My other 45's are (or were) a Les Baer monolith; a Kimber ultra carry elite (sold); and a Kimber classic custom royal with a reworking by Teddy Jacobson. The Brown compares favorably (or better) with any of these. It is as accurate as the Baer. The frame to slide fit out of the box is as tight and smooth as the Baer was after break in. There are no sharp edges. It functions flawlessly. The trigger is crisp and without creep. Everything is smooth and crisp. Before buying this gun I called Ed Brown and asked how it differeed from the Class A limited. I was told that the differences were: the "snake scale" treatment on the MSH, front strap and slide, instead of checkering or lines; and the slide is not mirror polished but rather bead blasted; otherwise it is the same as their Class A limited. This allowed a retail price under $2000. I like the front strap treatment, which gives as good a grip as the Baer's 30 lpi checkering but is easier on the skin. My only complaint with the Kobra is that the blued slide shows holster wear. It is now my preferred carry pistol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I own an Ed Brown Classic Custom. I also own 3 Wilsons and a Les Baer. While I like them all, the workmanship on the Brown is the best. I think the slide to frame fit is as close to perfect as you can get. If anyone makes a better slide to frame fit, I'd like to meet him.

I'm so confident of the quality of Brown's work that I've ordered a Brown Savanna rifle.

I highly recommend Brown products.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stan,

How do you like the bobtail grip?

Does it feel a little like the shorter grips on the compacts, i.e., where your hand just doesn't fit completely on the grip?

- Don

Ps. Just realized that not all Kobras have bobtail grips. But if your's does, Stan, how do you like it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: don Puffer on 2001-10-30 01:48 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.