Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 years ago I designed an Electronic chamber indiator that could be retrofitted to an existing 1911 slide. I never made a working prototype but I made lots of drawings. I have an electrical background, as well as law enforcement. My intent was to have a small LED light up on the back of the slide to indicate a bullet in the chamber. I discussed all this with my friend the LATE TOM FERGUSON who was one of the top wun writers in america. I had some lenghy negotiations with the Colt company, and I am sure they taped all my coversations, which included my concept and drawings for an electronically operated handgun. This was the year Colt filed for bankrupcy. My intent was to offer this electronic chamber indicator to anyone that owned a 1911 pistol. Colt told me their lawyers would not go for it because a battery was involved leaving them open for law suits. At that point I did not know what to believe. The switch I needed would have to be made in japan or maybe korea. Every one talks about safety but in reality no one really cares. This was a good idea but I did not have the funds to persue it. I even contacted certain media people that were screaming about gun safety and they all turned me down. NOTHING EVER IS AT IT APPEARS TO BE. I then decided to design a safety that would kill a weapon from 30 feet away. For instance if a police officer lost his weapon and he was about to be shot with his own gun, I had figured a way where the policeman could push a button on a small remote control which was pinned on to his shirt and it would in effect kill the weapon, so he could never be shot with his own gun. I showed all my drawings to Tom Ferguson and had him initial each sheet and date it. At that point in time I contacted Gaston Glock in Austria, he had some one call me to tell me they were not interested. No one really cares about safety, sure they all talk about it on the news but no one has ever gotten serious with my ideas on safety. I was going to charge 125 dollars to retrofit a 1911 slide for my chamber indicator. I thought I would relay this story to you as I have not talked about it in years.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Really enjoyed that Teddy...Did you ever hear anything from ANYONE about your ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very intersting ideas Teddy. Looks to me like various law enforcment agencies (FOP?) would have wanted to check into the "kill" remote, if not partially fund it. To much politics involved within LEA and gun manufacturers are not to hot on ideas not originating in house.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Of course, the small LED light would give you away, wouldn't it?

As for the remote kill safety, nice idea. Of course, the government would love to require it for all firearms so that a master government override could neutralize any and all weapons. So much for the 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Teddy, the mistake you made was in approaching these concepts as a business owner doing business the "old fashioned" way, ie., coming up with ideas and marketing it, trying to make things work with the money in your own pocket. The new fashioned way appears to be a twist on the ol' grifters approach...buying political influence, and in return getting government funding for private-profit projects. Gov.org is paying handsomely for "smart-gun" research, is it not?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Nope...Let's make it a win/win...sell it to the NRA...

They can sit on it and the gov't can't patent it...:wink:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-06-08 16:51, Teddy Jacobson wrote:
I am not exactly Mr PERSONALIY, do you really think I could convince a federal or government agency to back me or a manufacturer. First I would have to go under HYPNOSIS so I would forget about all the 4 letter words I use.

Teddy
http://www.actionsbyt.com
LOL, :grin:
Naaaa, the government needs to hear a few more 4 letter words. Go get 'em Teddy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For gyp - c2 I wish you would tell my wife I am great. You want a friend by a dog.
SERIOUSLY I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THE HONEST COMMENTS YOU GUYS HAVE MADE AND IF I CAN JUST GET ONE OR TWO OF YOU TO BE OPENED MINDED AND REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE GAME IS MONEY. ASK QUESTIONS, YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO WILL WORK ON YOUR GUN, REMEMBER YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.

TEDDY

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well you lost me on that one, but I'm doin' my best to learn everythin' I can before you get tired of us...I've got all your stuff saved and organized and I've been asking things that are relevant to me and the parts I need for my pistols...As far as the dog thing...I'm lost there?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well...alrighty then...Thanks for what you're doing. ideas you've spoken of here were probably too good to put into production. I'll bet there are still small groups that could afford to have you put them into effect on a small scale for their select personnel. Have you any pictures of anything like this on your web-site?
I looked at everything while visiting and don't recall...of course I might not have known what I was seeing at the time.
:wink:

G

·
Teddy,
As a person that has spent the last decade doing a lot of things for Govt agencies and negotiating a lot of contract work, I will be more than glad to point you in the right direction. For you guys that know me, few will say which is more dangerous, a room full of armed men or you seated across from me at the negotiating table. True statement, I have made grown men and women cry during negotitations. The last group of lawyers I litigated with were so glad to settle they actually paid me for my time from their salaries, two wrote personal checks and placed them on the table when they asked if they could leave. So you tell me offline who you want to approach and I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DAVID ITS been 10 years since I have worked on that Electronic chamber indiator and the kill switch for a law enforcement handgun. I am older now and my health is not getting any better. I really would not even know where to start. I have no major $ behind me, That is why I work all the time doing trigger work and making videos and writting articles. I have only shown my drawings to a handful of people because I have no legal or patent protection for it. I would be glad to talk with you about it anytime. I have not been able to use some of our phones all week end as we were really slammed with that storm a couple of days ago in south tx. It was on the national news. THANKS for all your help. For years have been playing with putting ball or roller bearings in the slide or in the frame rails.

Teddy

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm just curious because Teddy seems like such a practical guy why anyone would want a loaded chamber indicator on a gun in the first place? I've carried a few guns in my life been there and done that and I always know my weapon is loaded cause I loaded it myself and it didn't ever ever get out of my hands unless I knew about it. I'm astounded that Teddy would even think about a battery powered device on a real weapon.

JJ

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think he helped train young officers to shoot, or maybe one of the trainers spoke with him about it...
My impression was that he just wanted to help people.

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-15 19:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do not like the idea of gadgets and gizmos in guns really. Best loaded chamber indicator I can think of is to use an external extractor. Something (IMO) the 1911 should have progressed to using a long time ago, though for other reasons.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello Gentlemen, There was an incident in Arlington TX recently where training failed and anything might have averted the tragedy. An Arlington PD officer was killed in a training incident where a round was fired in a hostage training situation. Arlington PD has not made a statement that I have seen other than training accident. Any gaget can fail but some people may not train enough to be truly comfortable with a handgun. I know it is hard for me to remember sometimes that not everyone is like myself and the members of this forum when it comes to practice.
Just my thoughts
Gerald

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.