Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Peltor. Cheaper and more comfortable than the WEars IMO. I have used the larger..Tac #7 for years and just bought the smaller ones after trying a set. Dillion has a good price on the smaller ones or something similar.

Both offer great amplfication. The larger are good in class because they offer a bit less noise.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Harley, I have used the Peltors for a pretty good while now, and they are great. Some outfit in Gun List, or Shotgun News, had them on sale a few weeks back, might want to check around on that.

Friend has the ears David mentions, and he really likes those.

G

·
Dane has a good point, the Pro Ears come in almost a dozen NPR ratings and one does need to be careful that you select the correct model.

For maximum silence you can easily select the magnum models that exceed 40npr and higher.

I prefer the tactical model for "light work" when moving about as I would normally not have any hearing protection on but the Pro Ears Tactical do offer enough protection to prevent hearing damage while offering a large increase in magnification with light weight.

G

·
I'm not in law enforcement, but I'm told for house clearing etc., its best to use a model that is not "stereo" . You want a model where your left ear hears the sounds from your left side and your right ear hears the sound from your right side. I keep a pair made by Wolf (which are not stereo) in my house, so I can better localize the directions of a sound should I be forced to investigate a suspicious sound.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I may be completely wrong but I believe that the stereo muffs have a pickup on each side letting each ear hear what the muff on that side picks up. Mono ones usually only have one pickup and it sends the same sound to both ears.
I have two sets, a Silencio Mono and a Dillon HP-1 Stereo and that's the way they work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My first set of Wolf Ears just pasted 15 years of age--been soaked, dropped, and used by students--still work great, as do set #2, 12yoa, and third set now 6 years old.Perhaps I have just been lucky--I sold them for 12 years and never had one come back. GLV

·
Registered
148 Posts
My first set of electronic ears were the early Pro Ears which were pretty good. Then I got a set of "deminsional series" Pro Ears that were better. Then I switched brands and got a set of Peltor tactical 6 and thought these were better in performance than Pro Ears. I liked the compact size of the Peltor ear cups and the volume for each side.Now I have just purchased a set of the new Peltor Comtac and think these are the best yet of anything. Ear cups fit best of any for me. The new volume control has a memory to come on at the last setting. It has a power saving feature that automatically shuts off after a certain length of time(I think 2 hrs.). Very comfortable. The sounds heard at normal voice level are the most natural of all. They use AA batteries. I just used them in a two day shotgun class and wore them for hours at a time and they felt great. Expensive at about $230.00, but the best all around head set I've ever used.
Oh yeah, they are a very tactical green color as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robe on 2001-12-10 22:06 ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.