Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a chance to grab a NIB for $90.00. Does anybody own one or have an opinion on this knife?

PLEASE do me a favour guys (and gals) and keep this one ON TOPIC - I already own several other good tactical folders, so please don't make alternate suggestions....and please NO BOWIE comments!!!

I just want an opinion on the EMERSON please.

(anal mode off). :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-06-20 20:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I figured Dave would give a "thumbs up" on this one. Where ya been??? :wink:

I'll be getting the knife this weekend.

Any late comers to this thread, please feel free to add your comments - I'd still welcome more opinions if there are any!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have the Commander, with the wave as the knife pictured. I am not impressed with the chisel grind on any knife.

Makes it very user unfriendly IMO.

Wave is awesome as is handle design. Fit and function on my knives is not up to par with say Micro Tech, MOD or even Benchmade IMO.

That said for $90 I'd buy it and I don't think much of Emerson's knives for the money after owning several.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with Dane about the Emerson stuff. Chisel grinds are cool to look at, but true cutting performance really only comes from a blade which is flat-ground. Look for cutting ability, not just cosmetic design.

When you think about it, $90 is an awful lot to spend on a blade. Now I have some custom blades made by makers which cost much more, but 90 is too much for a production piece. Also, I've been hooked by the folder craze some years back, and have learned much since then. Mostly, I've come to recognize that an small or equal sized fixed blade is simpler and much superior. Not only that. They are totally reliable. Nothing is as reliable as a good fixed blade.

If you need the Emerson, by all means get it. But also consider the alternative of carrying a well holstered fixed blade. There is no other weapon other than a club which is simpler and as reliable. If you do get a folder just remember to at least take this advice, and DO NOT get a chisel ground blade.

Good luck

Mountain Man

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you simply grind the other side, and make it into a flat ground (on both sides)?

I don't own any chisel profile blades, but I'm sure you could put a taper to the other side, couldn't you?

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-06-22 09:47, Shane Kropf wrote:
Can you simply grind the other side, and make it into a flat ground (on both sides)?

I don't own any chisel profile blades, but I'm sure you could put a taper to the other side, couldn't you?
Dunno about the knife you're looking at, but my Benchmade/Emerson CQC7 has the chisel grind -- no, I don't think you could taper the other side. The tanto point, chisel ground CQC7 has a very thick spine that bevels and tapers to the edge on the left side, but the right side is completely flat. You wouldn't have much to work with in the attempt to grind/sharpen the other side.

Just my opinion. I'm not really a knife guy.

Chad

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Chad - I suspected you couldn't re-shape. Your CQC7 has the same blade as the one in the picture above, by the way. The handle is different however (obviously)!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-06-22 12:49 ]</font>

G

·
Well,
Opinions vary...I am honestly not sure what to think of the chisel ground blade comments, I have carried on of Ernies knives daily for over 10 years.
I have actually come to prefer this grind as it is very easy to sharpen in the field, it penetrates bone, heavy fabric, and even metal very well.
And with the serrations I have even cut steel cable (I know, but it was all I had at the time and the knife honestly looked ok now that it was much smaller).

I have found literally thousands of uses for the point/profile over the years and on several assigments it worked very well to pry off wall tiles to install surveillance equipment. I have used the blade as a screw driver more times than I can count.

I really like the wave blades and although Ernies knives are not as "fine tuned" as some would prefer they are really good tools.
They are relatively inexpensive and you can easily purchase the "right" blade style for your needs.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, also know that this knife is for protection only, and I don't need to to do any precise cutting with it. I realize that a V-grind is a better all-purpose profile for everyday chores. This knife has only ONE purpose.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Well, if your are never going to cut cheese or an apple then the blade is't of real importance.

I use my knifes. My Commander is here after using it on a box. It will cut. I don't use $100, or more, knives for a pry bar or as a screw driver. That is what they make AP tools for IMO.

For sticking someone the blade style is awesome. For slashes and snap cuts it is OK. There are better designs. For the typical use of a knife the blade style sucks IMO. For $90 I'd buy it. You're not likely to break it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Shane, that is a pretty good price for a new one.

If you are a leftie, or a sushi chef, :smile:

The Emerson production knives I have owned are best when found at a very good price, which it seems you have done. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Keep in mind that Emerson does his chisel grind opposite of the way they should be done, IE flat side on the left for right handers and vice versa.

G

·
Gerald,
Absolutely, my woods knife is a Brend model 2 with a Reeve large Sebenza as my folder.
My reply was based on my thought that $90.00 is a fair price and I have found so many daily uses for the Emersons and they do make good piercing weapons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.