Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other forums I anounce i want to trade my nikel m1911a1 colt goverment serie's 70 cal.45 acp for a glock mod.17 and,I recive replies where my budies tried to keep me of the deal.
They have their points,however i want a glock right now,I've never had one and want to change of firearm.

My shooting budies on the net say I'm a little wako for wanting this.What do you think?

Manny

·
Registered
151 Posts
Many,
Well I may be wacky too but I have 4 Glocks along with 5 1911's and love them both. I consider the Glock a mushy single action anyway. I say get what you want. As long as your happy that all that matters. Why don't you keep both?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Manny,

I have 16 years experience with the Colt Goverment Model, and I just got a Glock 17.

Here in the United States, ammunition is easily available and relatively inexpensive to private citizens. The cost of .45 ACP ball is approximately $10.00 per box of 50, and 9mm ball is about $7.00 per box.

I hear that some countries restrict certain calibers and ammo types from their citizens who are not Military or Police.

Are you in the Police or Military? Is the cost and availability of .45 ACP ammunition the reason that you are considering this trade? If not, I would stick with your Series 70 Colt. These are not being made anymore and many shooters prefer the Series 70.

Good luck with you decision.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
503 Posts
Many wrote;
My shooting budies on the net say I'm a little wako for wanting this.What do you think?
Let me get this straight... you want to trade 1 nickel Series 70 (presumeably in excellent condition) for just 1 Glock 17...

Send me your address (says the spider to the fly) :smile:

Seriously, Glocks are fine guns but if you check at gunshows Series 70s are worth 75 to 100% more than used glocks when you look at the prices. The nickel probaly is actually worth more than a blue gun to a collector but not to a shooter who would want to modify it a little.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx alot guys,it seems you are in the same chanel with my other budies on the net.My nickel GM model is in very goos condition,but some tiny spots showing wear (factory beavertail and mainspring housing) it wears drop in novak's sights,a full guide rod,wolff springs,gold cup ss hammer,videky three hole triger,3.5 lbs trigger pul,kim arens rose wood panels.

You are right I'm gona keep the gun,however the guy who wants to trade me my gun alsdo have a colt officers .45 acp in very good condition too.
Hard desicions.

Now,even in mexico the federal law about guns/ammo is so restrictive,I won legally all my guns with paper and all,maybe cause I'm a sport shooter I can own large bore handguns,but ammo is not easily obtenible,in the black market any centerfire 50 round box retails about $ 50,00 dollars and it's ball,so that's why I reload.

Manny

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Manny,

If your friend were to offer you the Glock 17 and the Colt Officer's ACP for your Series 70 Colt, I believe he would still be getting the better deal.

The Officer's ACP is not as reliable and it is more prone to parts breakage than the full-size Government Model or the Commander.

You know your Colt, you do not really know the gun that you may be trading for.

Most shooters that I know have regretted trading a good gun for another gun.

Let us know what you decide to do.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Manny:

1. Hang onto the Colt. If you have confidence in a good handgun, keep it forever.

2. Watch prices on GunBroker.com and AuctionArms.com and get a good used Glock Model 17 or Model 19. I see them all the time for $350. The only thing to watch out for is one that has been used for shooting non-jacketed reloads. (This is a no-no in Glocks. Plan on buying an after market barrel @ $90 if you want to shoot reloads).

3.Anything else wrong with a Glock (like magazine, mag spring, ejector) will be fixed FREE by the Glock factory if you send it to them. You really can't wear one out - See the latest issue of "Combat Handguns" for the report on the 170,000 Torture Test conducted by Chuck Taylor on a G-17.

4. If for some reason you don't like the Glock (it will take 50-100 rounds to get accustomed to the trigger if you are used to the Colt) you won't have any trouble selling it.

5. I am an unbiased observer. I only own a G17, a G34, 2-G19's, a G27, a G23, a G23C and a G21. People who are really addicted to Glocks may offer opinions different from mine.

Stay safe,
Dawg23

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dawg23 on 2001-08-14 17:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would keep the Colt, simply because i feel it is more valuable, and a better weapon, i love my glocks, but there is just something about a 1911 that works smooth!

save up and get a glock but keep the 1911.

·
Registered
35 Posts
have lots of 1911s/clones and 4mo old glock 21 in 45acp - glock is a great gun for carry/combat but i think 1911s will beat it in bullseye any time - probably equal on idpa/ipsc stock guns but race guns are 1911/clone based

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry, but I must cast my vote with the Glock 21 for out of the box accuracy and controllability. The octagonal rifling really stabilizes that big bullet, and the size and mass makes it as easy as can be to control. There are some high-end or custom 1911's out there that are more accurate, and that might approach the reliability of a G-21, but not that many.

At our last IDPA match there were TWO Kimbers that had parts breakage. One was a Stainless Ultra-Carry that snapped an extractor tooth, and the other was the full size stainless gun with the adjustable sights, and the rear sight blade snapped off of the gun on the first stage. One gun was new, and the other has less than 2 cases through it.

Now, this is not a condemnation of Kimbers, per se, nor of 1911's as a system, but none of the Glocks at our matches have broken apart yet. (From what I have seen, the Kimbers appear to be good guns.) For that matter, none of the Glock 19's issued to my agency folks have broken, either, and that includes over 75 guns (locally), that are fired at least quarterly.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,I hope not to regreat,I did the deal as follows my m1911a1 cal.45 acp went away and I recived a glock mod.17 with one 17 round mag and other 10 rounder plus $320 amrican dollars.

I really don't know,maybe I will regret in some months but waht the heck! you can't have everything.

It's true a well tuned m1911a1 will beat in acuracy to the glock at 25 meters,however I think glock has the nod in reability out of the box against an out of the box m1911a1.

Today I'm happy with the deal,tomorrow who knows,maybe I'll regret it,but that's life,you have choices.

Manny

·
Registered
27 Posts
Manny
I am going to put in my two cents. Most the time when you trade guns or even sell them you lose. I would hang on and buy a used 17. There are plenty out there a lot of police agencies that carried 9mm switched to 40 S&W. Hang on and buy outright
Check out
http://www.gunsamerica.com Look under Glocks there are a few hundred for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.