Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting out a new 45 ACP 1911-style carry pistol, which Extractor and Ejector do you prefer and why?

How about in matching a NM bushing to a NM barrel...I already have the NM barrel.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Are you still fiddlin' with that dang Champion?

My two cents buys a vote for Wilson Bulletproof extractors. I've tried most of the other aftermarket pieces, and Wilson does it for me.

I don't have a lot of experience with ejectors, as I haven't had to change too many. I would however suggest a Commander length version (longer nose) for added ejection reliability.

I'm sure the 'smiths will give you some good advice on this one. :smile:

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you want your gun to have no extractor problems use an AFTEC. Worth their weight in gold. I do not own a single 1911 (and I have a bunch) that doesn’t have one. You name it, I have broken them.

For ejectors get either a SV or EGW. Great stuff. I have had Wilson and Ed Brown fail, especially after being chromed. Don’t, buy the way, hard chrome extractors. They will break, especially series 80 extractors.

Good luck to you.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys...No Shane...this is not for the Champ! The Champ is kickin' butt and I ain't messin' with it except to shoot the crap out of it every chance I get...
It's for a new 5" frame up...That's why all the new questions..New gun, new questions...

As far as the Champ goes...This is what will happen if anyone tries messin' with it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had good results with Wilson standard grade and Brown extractors. Caspians also work very well. I have had mixed results with Wilson BP extractors, and have personally seen about 7 break at less than 10k rounds.

I have not experimented with ejectors, but would offer than any installed should absolutely be pinned in place. Springfield does not pin them (no hole in the frame), and they sometimes wander out when the Loctite fails.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How do you guys cut the tip of the ejector? I installed an extended Ed Brown and I cut it the way he shows in his book with 3 diff angles. the empty cases are still flying over my head.

I noticed in the Vickers AH article a very unique angle on the ejector of that SA.

Shay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-07-07 19:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
On 2001-07-07 19:45, Shay wrote:
How do you guys cut the tip of the ejector?
Looking down at the top of the gun, I simply bevel mine to about a 45 degree angle towards the ejection port. Actually, it's not so much of a bevel, with hard angles, but a "rounding" of the nose with that angle.

One of my Para's threw brass back at me or over me, and this bevelling puts them all in a nice neat little pile to my right rear.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In the AH article, it appears that Larry simply cut the face of the ejector at an angle facing up and toward the ejection port, about 2-2:30. That's the net angle of deflection you're trying to achieve with the other cuts. Extractor tension can influence ejection too, so be sure to check that.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Hilton...Did you see the ejector in that article, or was that angle info something you "gleaned" from somewhere?

I'll have to look at it again...Never hurts does it?

Still a very nice pistol, no matter what...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I examined the pic from the article before replying. I've also heard the same info reflected in all my research. Each smith seems to have his own method of achieving the deflection -- it appears to be a very forgiving area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.