Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent plenty time shooting my 1911's,,,,definately not a pistolsmith. My Kimber is exhibiting something that concerns me.

I've got a Classic Custom and after a recent cleaning I was doing some safety function testing and had something happen that I do not recall happening before and I cannot recreate with my Springfield.

I could manually cock the hammer, push back on the muzzle which of course pushes the barrel rearward and begins unlocking the barrel from the slide. When the barrel reaches its most rearward position and has started tilting downward,,,,,out of battery, I then pulled the trigger and the hammer fell. I've been able to repeat this on several occasions. It doesn't happen absolutely everytime, but once it happens, generally you can make the hammer fall a number of times in a row while out of battery.

Also, if the muzzle has been pushed and the gun goes out of battery like noted above,,,,when the gun goes back into battery, the thumb safety doesn't always want to funtion properly. Again, that doesn't happen everytime, but it seems like once it happens one time, you can re-cock the hammer, push the muzzle and it will happen again.

Thoughts on what could cause that??? Though I have no expert opinions yet, I'm guessing my Kimber will be taking a trip back to Yonkers if I'm still under warranty. Otherwise, I may be calling on someone else's services.

Regardless, I'm not shooting it till I know what's going on,,,,

Thanks,
Byron Hall

· Registered
199 Posts
Liability warning: I am no expert, and have a qualified gunsmith examine your gun.

Did this problem occur after you detail stripped your frame?

If you haven't disassembled the frame ignore the following advice.

I would examine each part and look for an obvious defect or damage. If the parts look good, you probably reassembled it incorrectly. This is easy to do if you haven't done it before.

Does your disconnector have spring tension to
it when assembled?

It maybe that the sear spring is not in proper contact with the sear. I suggest disassembling the frame again. Pay careful attention to the position of the leaf spring, make sure the bottom tab is in the slot at the bottom of the frame. Also, make sure the disconnector is facing the correct direction.

Very carefully reassemble it using the directions from http://www.m1911.org or a gunsmithing manual.

Keep attempting to reassemble the frame, eventually you will get it correct.

If you have any question feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-07-19 21:35 ]</font>

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I attempted a detail strip once following a good set of instructions, but I didn't have a set of punches and the pin holding my mainspring housing was so blasted tight I couldn't get it loose with anything I had without scratching things up, I couldn't get it out so I never pulled the leaf spring, sear, or disconnector.

I basically gave up and put it back together.
Though, I would like to detail strip it and give it a thorough cleaning.

I just field stripped the gun and I do not see anything that appears worn or broken. The gun only has about 1,500 or so rounds through it, and I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning it.

Thanks,
Byron

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW,,,JM,,,don't worry, I plan on sending the gun back or having a professional check it out before firing it,,,,I'm just looking to learn a little. Just not looking forward to being without my favorite toy,,, :sad:

That and not looking forward to getting gouged by Fedex,,,or whomever I ship with.

· Registered
199 Posts
Just curious, does your disconnector have spring tension to it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-07-19 22:15 ]</font>

· Registered
351 Posts
On 2001-07-19 21:56, h4444 wrote:
I attempted a detail strip once following a good set of instructions, but I didn't have a set of punches and the pin holding my mainspring housing was so blasted tight I couldn't get it loose with anything I had without scratching things up, I couldn't get it out so I never pulled the leaf spring, sear, or disconnector.
You couldn't get it out with the safety?
(Assuming you had the hammer down, had a friend that always took his apart with the hammer cocked, complaining how hard it was the whole time :smile:

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man alive,,,it was tight. That and I baby my guns,,,,I didn't want to take a chance on scratching it, so I put it back together.

I was going to get a good set of punches,,,,then this came up, so I figure the guys at Kimber will be detail stripping it anyway to figure out what the deal is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.