Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Load 405 gr. cast lead bullets to about 12 50fps for general shooting in both my Sharps and Guide gun..455gr. gas checked, heat treated, LBTs to 1465 for serious use in my guide; Favorite loads with chrono info anyone???

·
Registered
373 Posts
350gr Speer flat point or Barnes X bullet spitzer at 2300 fps. Future coastal Brown bear loads. Fired from a Ruger #1. Not for the feint of heart. General blasting rounds. 350gr Laser cast at 1350 fps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't found a favorite load for my Marlin 1895SS yet. I've only tried 300gr factory loads which are ok and some REALLY hot 405 jacketed behind a lot of RL7. These are, in fact, very unpleasant. I just picked up a 336CB in 38-55. It shoots very well with 265gr gas checks at 1700fps. Given this, I'm not sure the 1895 will be around much longer. I don't think I have much use for a 7lb 45-70.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Drew:

Yeah - 7 pound 45.70's aren't much fun once you go over 300grainers loaded warm- so I've learned to quit shooting them. (Good Sharps rifles w/ bp loads under 500gr bullets are another story - mild, fun and accurate once you work up the right load.)

I know a guy who took a nicer elk w/ 38-55 single shot using blackpowder and heavy bullets. The hardcast bullet shot broadside and performed well. I don't think you'd be giving up much w/ that cartridge, and as you alluded, much milder than a hot 45-70.

For factory ammo, Buffalo Bore sells an agressive 255 grain load w/ 1,900 fps and over a ton of kinetic energy.

Regards,

Roger

·
Registered
705 Posts
IMO, the best (safe to shoot) dangerous game .45-70 rounds come from Garrett Cartridges. Randy's HAMMERHEAD super hard cast bullets are loaded to +P levels -- but unlike Buffalo Bore, they have been pressure tested.

420gr @1850 fps | 540gr @1550 fps
Energy: 3200 ft/lb | Energy: 2880 ft/lb
Taylor KO Value: 51 | Taylor KO Value: 55

Want something that will go end-to-end on a cape buff? This ammo has.

Definitely not suggested for the recoil sensitive shooter. :eek:

DD

·
Registered
86 Posts
508gn cast 15:1 alloy(no antimony!) round nose over 40gns of 3031 from a custom Trapdoor or the GI Trapdoor. Not very fast, but has a lot of authority just the same. This is a replication of the USGI smokeless load(1898?) S/F...Ken M

·
Registered
61 Posts
How about??

530 paper patch (flying telephone pole) over a grease patch,paper wad, 55 grains of 3FF and 3 grains of unique?

Accurate and pretty salty when they hit something... They won't fit in a lever action though
:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Favorite 45-70 Loads

Desert Dog:

Yep. Those Garretts are devistating and kill at both ends.

Last year I packed a Marlin 1895 Limited III (18.5 octagon bbl) 45-70 in AZ during an elk hunt. The day before opening, we decided to check the zero on our traditional elk rifles. I had never shot the Marlin to that point. I had mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 on it with Cabela's version of the Warne quick release mounts. For the initial sight-in, I used some standard pressure PMC factory loads. The recoil was mild. After I got things adjusted and grouping well with the PMC loads, I loaded up with the Garrett 420 gr. +P Hammerheads. Holy Moly! Even with the lace-on leather recoil pad and a PAST shoulder pad, it felt like I'd been kicked by BOTH hooves of a mule. I shot it a total of eight times, before me and my shoulder were satisfied. I've shot some big stuff in my days, but nothing in my experiences is as refreshing as that light, little Limited III with the Hammerheads.

Upon inspection of the target, we noticed the Hammerheads had nearly shot down the old dead pine tree it was attached to. The bullets had passed clean through and ripped out some big chunks of wood. None of our .270, 30-06 or .338 Win. rounds had penetrated through.

I carried that gun for the first two days of the hunt but switched over to my Model 70 on the third day (for longer range). The morning of the fourth day I finally came across a shooter elk and put it down with one shot from the .270.

In November I again carried that gun during Missouri's firearm deer season. I had one goofy little buck come by me three times one morning and held on him for quite a while as he was studying me hard at about 30 yards. All the while I thought about how quickly he'd hit the ground if I touched the trigger. But I let him go to grow up (and wise up) a little.

I am really wanting to see the results of the Hammerhead on deer or elk this season. After the results on the pine tree, I believe their 'lengthwise through a cape buffalo' statements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.