Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite practice targets?
Are you big on jugs, or do you prefer little cans?
Do your paper targets have the standard BG silhoette or do you shoot at pictures of Rosie O'Donnell?
Do you shoot as something more interesting?...do tell!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pictures of Al Gore :wink:
Ahhh, ROSIE O'DONNEL :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-01 16:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-01 16:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a good supply of targets with a lifesized gentleman wearing a ski mask. Also use a copier to blow faces up to lifesize and place them on milk jugs. When possible, I like to hang the jugs and start them swinging or throw them up a hill to try and hit them before they hit bottom. Good exercise...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I normally use IPSC "Brussels" targets. They only differ from our preferred Paladin targets in that the A-zone doesn't extend all the way up to the neck line. Sometimes we put old shirts on the targets to vary their appearance.

I was impressed at the recent Rangemaster Advanced Combative Skills course that every time we hit the range, we were faced with a different type of target. Variety is helpful!

Rosco

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...Big fruit is good, anything that will jump and not completely disintegrate...stick-on-anythings', shotgunshells...clay pigeons...:wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Being basically FRUGAL in nature(read-"Cheap"-!), I usually use a "backer" of brown cardboard for my SOPHISTICATED paper plate targets!!! Works great...and helps to keep expenses down, too!....mikey357

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reactive targets of little or no value are my choice.Painted plates are good(visual/audio)aluminum cans are ok but react without a solid hit for speed drills an empty beer keg is great positive audio through muffs and with a little practice you can hear a good hit as opposed to not so good ,about torso sized and 230's don't tear it up at 25yds

·
Registered
350 Posts
Playing cards I think make good targets for seven yards. When I shoot at to big of a target I have a subconscious fault of trying to just keep them in the target border. If I use a large target I get lazy and just tell myself, "yeah, okay, that would have hit the chest", if I use small targets it forces me to slow down a little and try to do it right. No matter what the size, if I fail to even get it inside the target border I feel like I let myself down, so for me small is good. I think I read about the card deal in combat handguns. I think the drill was to try to draw from concealment and try to get good multiple hits on the card in a time frame. Anyway, I like it and I believe it helps me.
Jake

·
Registered
580 Posts
Am using Chuck Taylor's Camo "Combat Tgt." & Gray "Police Combat" paper tgt's. over some old beater IDPA cardboards.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-02 14:25, mikey357 wrote:
Being basically FRUGAL in nature(read-"Cheap"-!), I usually use a "backer" of brown cardboard for my SOPHISTICATED paper plate targets!!! Works great...and helps to keep expenses down, too!....mikey357
Mikey... Sounds funny, but I do something very similar... I put MY tax dollars to work :wink:

I go to the Post Office, and get the LARGE Priority Mail boxes... When you seperate one on the glued seam, you get a nice large flat surface, brown on one side, white on the other...

I use my printer and tape targets onto the cardboard backing... Helps for nice clean holes on the paper.

The Targets I print up are usually a simple, cream or buff colored 8" circle... Same size as the IDPA 'A' Zone... Works great, endless supply :wink:

I will also put Shoot-n-See's on the Cardboard for 'long' range work, to help my eye's... Very helpful for opensight 50 yard shots, and scoped 200 yard shots.

Shoot-n-See's get expensive, so I am working on something that will accomplish the same thing...

For reactive practice, I have a few steel spinners & plates, but don't get to use them much here in the Burb's of the PRK. LAR&GC up on the hill has a 'Plinking Range' that used to allow cans, and jugs, but not sure if they still do, and haven't been there since much of the AW bans around here went in.

A couple years ago, we fashioned a mount and plastic riser to mount a light cardboard box on the bodies of cheap RC cars for 'Movers"... It was fun, but if the 'Driver' was not playing nice, it would get really HARD. It ultimately resulted in the death of a few cars after many frustrating hours, so the expense sometimes got high, but was seriously fun :grin:

·
Registered
391 Posts
The range I belong to is leased from the state by a "Sportsmens club." It is not primarily a shooting range. Now, they have passed a rule that nobody can shoot anything but single loaded shots and silhouette targets are strictly prohibited.
The board of directors was horrified when I suggested that they change the name of the organization to fisherman and bowhunting poachers, Inc. The other local club won't allow silhouettes or rapid fire, either, since they are all living in the days of NRA bullseye competition, and if you asked what year it was they would probaly say 1950-something.
Thank heaven we have two indoor ranges. One requires no lead bulletss at all be fired on their premesis and they insist that a shooter buy his ammo from them to make certain no lead rounds slip past them. The other indoor range still allows firing whatever you wish and has no restriction on target shapes.
Where do I get the idea that these people have all caved in to a slight amount of presure from the lawyers who slip onto the membership roles? When this one last bastion range caves in, there will be nowhere within 50 driving miles to practice freelance.

·
Registered
581 Posts
US size pepper poppers, six inch square plates and steel IPSC targets.

All this assuming I have time to practice...

Tom
AF Shooting Team

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.