Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Since we are all learned men, lets have some of your favorite quotes. Try to give credit to the author if you know it. Here are a few to get us started:

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"We should never attempt to get more equality by doing less justice" Ernest van den Haag

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Benjamin Franklin

"Virtue is not always amiable." John Adams

"If you have to write your ethics rules down, you've already lost." Tom Clancy, THE BEAR AND THE DRAGON

"If all men were just, there would be no need for valor." Agesilaus

"No man is above the law and no man below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it." Theodore Roosevelt

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rob Garrett on 2001-05-10 09:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Beer has food value, but food has no beer value". A speech, give by a friend upon winning a national skydiving championship. Moments later, he was knocked unconscious by a flying beer bottle. longhair

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is true that liberty is precious- so precious that it must be rationed.-V.I.Lenin

Nothing doth more hurt in a state than that cunning men pass for wise.-Sir Francis Bacon

There is, however, a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.-Edmund Burke

When they really are out to get you, paranoia is adaptive.-Tim Burke

Every Communist must grasp the truth:"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."-Mao Tse-Tung

There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave... It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, peace, peace- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why do we stand here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!-Patrick Henry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim Burke on 2001-05-10 18:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
63 Posts
"You can get farther with a kind word and gun, than with just a kind word" Al Capone

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another beer, another couple of favorites:

One that applies on many levels: "Use enough gun."...Robert Ruark.

And the ever popular, "I'm gonna knock your head clean off!" Brer Bear as quoted by Joel Chandler Harris.

David

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
"I have always found you can get more accomplished with a gun and a kind word, than with just a kind word"

"Great men discuss ideas, small men discuss people"

"Short term pain, for long term gain"

"The only rich man is the one who shares his knowledge"

"Family is seldom blood relationships"

"Treat others as you wish to be treated"

"I bid me tyme" :grin:

"OH, MY!"

·
Registered
253 Posts
"Even the most normal of men must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken

·
Registered
223 Posts
1. Those who dare win.

I believe this is the british sas motto.

2. If you never had a bad day how would you know if you had a good one.

Don't know who said this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Harley45,

Please don't take offense; I'm not presuming to correct you :smile: It's "Who Dares, Wins", and you are correct, it's the motto of the British Special Air Service. Just a friendly revision.

David

·
Registered
126 Posts
I promise, this is the last one for tonight. From the celebrated history of exchanges between Lady Astor and Winston Churchill:

Lady Astor(upon being jostled by Churchill): "You sir, are drunk!"

Churchill: "And you, Madam, are ugly, but in the morning, I shall be sober."

And on a more familiar, first name basis:

Lady Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your soup."

Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I would drink it!"

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. (see my signature below)
2. I never knew what happiness was 'til I got married......
and then it was too late. W.C. Fields

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Communism is, in theory, the most wonderful system in the world. However, it fails to account for two types of people: Those who want more, and are willing to work for it; and those who are content to take without giving in return. And the world is made up of only two kinds of people . . ."

Me, in a guest lecture delivered to a political science class at Pomona Pitzer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
These first two gleaned from "Cooper's Corner" in the June issue of G&A

"War is the continuation of politics by other means."
Von Clausewitz

"Never do your enemy a minor injury."
Niccolo Machiavelli

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

"My country right or wrong is like saying my mother drunk or sober."
G.K. Chesterton

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Lord Acton

"The natural progress of things is for Liberty to yield and Government to gain ground."
Thomas Jefferson

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of Liberty."
John F. Kennedy

"A silent majority and government by the people is incompatable."
Tom Hayden

"He is unworthy of the name of Man who is ignorant of the fact that the diagonal of a square is incommensurable with it's side."
Plato

"No greater gift can a man receive than the high praise of good men."
Ken Cook

"Let us all be more correct in our grammer, that we may more freely criticize those who are not."
Ken Cook :grin:

·
Registered
63 Posts
"When you find yourself argueing with a fool make sure he isn't doing the same thing" unknown

Walk softly and carry a big stick

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know who said it first, but these are 2 I tell my girlfriends kids:
1. old age and trechery will overcome youth and skill any day.
2. you gotta sleep sometime.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
"Just when we start having fun, they call an attorney"

"any problem can be solved with lawyers, guns and money"

"more whiskey, women and fast horses for my men"

"fornication, fighting and eating, life's only real rules"

"die trying and take them with you :grin: "

"unreasonable men make life difficult"

"a man is measured by his friends"

"a man can be better measured by his enemies"

614 Posts
Here is one from a member here at the forum.
(He keeps going back to the Hi-Power,He has never had a FTF,and he swears by them not at them). That quote was by jm10mm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Many of my favorites are already posted, but here is one worth mentioning:

"To crush your enemies! To see him driven before you! And to hear the lamentations of his women!"

Conan responding to the question what is best in life (Conan the Barbarian).

Denny

1 - 20 of 48 Posts