Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I shoot the same thing for trap, skeet, clays and hunting.

1986 Beretta, Mod 682, 10mm rib, 30" bbls, with Briley 2X tubes. Terrific gun, never missed a beat, never been in the shop, had the stock bent a little to fit me better, wouldn't take a gold bar for it...

Probably has something like 45K rounds thru it...

Before I settled on this one, I tried Browning Citori Sporting, Remington 3200, couldn't affort Kreighoff or Perazzi, but shot AYA, Kemen, Mirocchi, Ruger and Win 101. Nothing felt better, more natural, pointed better than the 682. I have tried other Beretta mods as well, tried the 686 Sporting, the 687EELL, an old SO4, and an ASE90. Always go back to the 682.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Favorite shotgun

Winchester Supreme Sporting O/U 12ga. 30" barrels. Why? I paid under $900 for it! It has 12,000 rounds through it in the 11 months I have owned it and it's just breaking in. It isn't as pretty as most O/U's but it is simple and works.

I still dream about a custom Kolar or Marocchi.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like: my 16 gauge Darne for upland bird when the other hunters are 'snobby'. Best $900 shotgun I could find in 1986 , was cheap at the time(now sell for $4000) because nobody understood the 'sliding breech' of this 6.3 lb high grade loosely choked gun with its marbled French walnut and elegant 'coin washed' metal engraving. My 3200 Remington has always been good to me on the trap range , when I go. I shot a 92 -once. Although my Browning Auto 5 magnum duck gun is long retired for a Remington 1100 mag, it was good to me from age 16 to 40+ on the east and west coasts! My AyA 10ga was always too much for me, and my son owns it now. My Browning Superposed with imp cyl and modified barrels still goes on the Phesant hunts where you buy the birds upfront. The Berretta Silver Snipe I got in 80 was given to another son 5 years ago.Skeet :I have a Model 31 Remington Skeet grade, but I don't shoot skeet so I use it and it's understudy Mod 31L 20ga to be a general hunting batterywhen I travel in my motorhome. I never hunted deer with slugs or buckshot since high school in New Jersey when the old Ithaca field grade double I got when I was 11 was pressed into duty, it's mounted over the fireplace now. I have the usual 870 'combat ' SGs and even some .410
s and other toys like a Winchester 1901 model , but the fore mentioned ones are my beloved SGs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
browning Special Sporting Clays model for sporting, 5 stand and FITASC, 30 inch tubes. Takes the abuse of tournament shooting and a few mars wont break my heart. Works good for ZZ bird and live pidgeon shooting also.

beretta 686 for field shooting, 28 inch tubes. Lightweight, reasonably steady in the swing. and it doesnt flash bright in the field. Great for snap shots at quail and flushed phesants, takes a bit of barrel speed control for high phesants though.

remington SP-10 in the blinds. Great low recoiling gun, and your ready for ducks and geese. heavy enough to soak up those wildfowl loads. Shorter barrel than most doubles, but the semi-auto frame lengthens it to just about right for me. makes an awesome turkey gun with a holo-sight as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow! Rough company. Gee, my favorite is a humble, little Winchester 140 12 ga. I shoot Sporting clays with it, and wish I could shoot as well as the shotgun wants to.... I'd be famous!! It's really irritating to the guys I shoot with, with their HK's, Beretta's and Rugers. I can afford more shotgun, but the old girl just works too well for me to put her aside. ==Bob

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just lucked into a like new 870 skeet grade 28 gauge from late 80's for $400. If I can find enough shells to get used to it, it might just turn out to be my favorite quail/partridge gun! Itcertainly mounts fast and dead on (has no recoil pad) and goes snick-ity-snick! :D

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
20 guage...a Weatherby with 30" barrels, a Browning Superlite and a no name Italian SxS. With any of them it's like walking a round with a BB gun when you were a kid ;)

Suprised no one else is shooting a 20.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Browning Citori 12 ga. is my all around shotgun. My old favorite was a ca. 1920's LC Smith field grade. Got rid of it when steel shot was mandated. Talk about a stupid mistake.

Just lucked into the brother of the first shotgun I used when I was a kid, a JC Higgins (High Standard). This one came with a small collection I bought and appears to be unfired. It may become my favorite again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For trap I have a Browning BT-99 12ga W/ 30" barral, Skeet, 5 stand, and SC I use Browning Citori XS Sporting 12ga W/ 28" barrals.
My field gun is a Rem 11-87 12ga W/ 28" barral for turkey, phesant, hunting.

I have heard some good things about the Beretta 391 Urika and would like to try one of them some day while at the skeet range.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Larry, your name sounds so familiar. Did you ever shoot in the CSCA tournaments around here in Colorado. I'm a member of Rocky Mountian Roosters and I'm almost certain I have been squadded with you at one time or another.

Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wasn't me Peter. I competed in handgun silhouette in the early '80s and now play around with some IPSC.

Believe it or not though, there are at least four Larry Ashcrafts in CO and something like 57 nationwide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
for me, the favorite shotgun is my 28" DT10 sporter, fitted with a skeet foregrip, and with a customised skeet stock (made by me, I'll get pictures at some point) it's the onyl shotgun I use, and is ideal for olympic skeet with two flush fit cylinder chokes installed up front :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
for general fooling around, the mossberg 500 i bought, traded, had resold to a third owner and then re-bought back has run everythinkg ive put thru it from 00buck down to dust grade 8 1/2s. ever shot trap, skeet, sporting clays with it and only a few 3-gun matches with it...

i now have a semi-beater rem 1100 for 3-gun and action games tricked with a speedfeed lug, oversized bolt handle, and longer shell tube. have only shot one action game with it since i got it...

my used minty rem 1100 i originally got for trap/skeet but have not fired it in 5 years...

david

1 - 20 of 25 Posts