Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread alluded to the problems that were encountered with the HRT's SRP as produced by Les Baer Custom. I have heard bits and pieces, but does anyone have the full story? Some reports have indicated magazine difficulties, while others, namely a short piece in GUNS AND WEAPONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT, have stated that top-end parts were changed out. I am curious to know the full story. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
jw kerens, depending on what you are selling it for ( the high price it costs) might be part of the problem.

As far as I have heard, there were some magazine functioning problems. Only rumor mind you, but they said something to the effect that they hadn't changed out mag springs in a couple of years. Also, many IPSC shooters will tell you that you can't do this, especially for guys who are shooting their SRP's regulary like HRT does. From my experience in shooting IPSC and from being a LEO, the loading, unloading, shooting and using of the mags is what wears them out. My duty mags will sit loaded for a year to two with no problems.

Then again, a lot of gunsmiths I have spoken with say the double stack 45 is very difficult to make 100% perfectly reliable. Some say the extra weight of the rounds in the mag wear out the mag springs quickly and makes it difficult for the gun to function 100% as opposed to a 9mm or 40 with lighter weight rounds.

From what I have read, Steve Nastoff was called in to help resolve the problem with the malfunctioning guns. First thing he did was change mag springs because they hadn't been changed in a while. Again, this is 2nd, 3rd and 10th hand info. Just what I've heard.

Kevin

·
Registered
130 Posts
Greetings,

The following is a reply to another question concerning Les' customer service, but as it refers to the SRP I will post it here...

After acquiring a new SRP 1911 Governement model, and firing 1000 or so break in rounds,I ransom rest tested it at 50 yards. With several types of ammo, commercial and handloads, my average groups were in the 2" range. I then proceded to fire over 37,000 rounds throught the gun WITHOUT a single malfunction of any kind. Somewhere after the 37,000 round, but before the 38,000 (I know because I reload) as I was lowering the thumb safety, the hammer fell to half-cock. Knowing that this meant sending the gun back to Les, I carefully ransom rest tested the gun again, in case accuracy had deteriorated without my knowing and barrel/bushing work was in order. Guess what? I got the same 2" groups as when the gun was new.
Off the gun went to Les, with a request for correction of the falling hammer problem, and my request for a beveling of the leading edge of the ejection port and inner trigger guard, as these edges were pulling leather from my Mitch Rosen ARG. I also requested checkering under the trigger guard as I find I have a tendency to slightly pull my pistol to the left (I'm right hand strong side) and I thought this would help.
I expected to pay for the chamfering of the edges, the checkering, and the refinishing of the entire pistol.
Les sent my pistol back to me 3 weeks later with all the changes I had requested, completely refinished, new trigger/safety lockwork components, and a newly fitted barrel and bushing (which I had not requested) and he charged me the sum of...
$65.00
Yes, only $65.00, and that was listed as the charge for just the checkering.
The gun has functioned flawlessly for the last 16,000 rounds since its return.
Based upon this 1 experience, thought it may not be statistically significant, I have nothing but praise for the quality of both Les Baer Pistols, and Les Baer Customer Service.

Gonzo

·
Registered
59 Posts
From what I've heard, Steve Nastoff was indeed called in to make the guns run. You might give Walt Birdsong (of Black-T) a call about this, he can fill you in nicely.

·
Registered
580 Posts
FWIW, Steve Nastoff mentioned in a letter of his written to American Handgunner & published in their Sept. '99 issue that he had been "...working as an FBI Contractor since Jan. '96......"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.