Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an intriguing load.

This round is rated at 1050 fps, is loaded in Nickel cases (w/cannelure) and heavy crimp. Hand pressure on a hard suface could NOT dislodge the crimped bullet and push it back into the case. Neither did 3 feedings from a loaded 8 round Wilson magazine into my Garthwaite 1911.
It has a sealed primer pocket.

The bullet ogive is excellent and should be an easy feeder in any 1911. The round is 1.2350", which is quite a bit longer than most JHP's in .45 ACP. This should also aid in feed reliability. For example, "old" 230 Hydra-shock is 1.21 and S&B ball is about 1.245.

Anyone have any idea on how this load performs in test media?

G

·
Anthony,
Jim did some preliminary work and posted his results under this section as "expanding FMJ".
I am working with this loading and should have some review/notes in early July.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks David,
Jim's remarks are interesting. If it does reliably expand to
.80 and penetrate an adequate amount, I believe it will be one heck of a load....it is adequate penetration I am worried about since I truly believe that an entry AND and exit wound are better than entry wound alone. An .80 caliber pair would be exceptional.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Is anyone selling the EFMJ besides eric the Ammoman yet? I
looked at Cheaperthandirt and didn't see it on their site.
Eric wants a 5 box minimum (you CAN however mix and match)
but I don't wanna go that route to just test one box
of the Federal.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh, thanks David. I didn't realize that :smile:

·
Registered
262 Posts
There's also a pretty interesting review of this round by Mike Orick over on the Calibers website http://www.greent.com/40page

Look in the General Articles: Defensive Ammo section.

Chad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tom Burczynski, the inventor himself, posted this at "Firing Line" some time ago:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Expanding Full Metal jacket (EFMJ) is unique in that it utilizes a gilding metal jacket having 6 deep scores on the ogive’s interior which contains a pressure-conformed
“core” of 50 durometer silicone bearing atop a pure lead hollow-pointed core. The jacket is heeled over at the base in the final stage of manufacture. There is no external hollow
point present. EFMJ’s look innocuous and feed just like a typical FMJ bullet. Upon impact, the ogive collapses axially and expands radially as the scored areas split and
the silicone compresses.

The nice thing about the design is that you can make it expand larger or penetrate deeper by regulating several variables; jacket wall thickness, radial score depth, the amount of silicone in the nose and the cavity size/angle of the hollow-pointed core.
Note: the lead core doesn’t require any hollow point at all to perform well but its presence relieves some of the shock the jacket is subjected to when impacting hard barriers. Depending on caliber, velocity, and application, expanded bullet diameters
range from .550 to .900. Expanded bullets recovered from heavily-clothed gel are monotonously clone-like.

The main advantage is that it doesn’t require the presence of external fluid to expand
rapidly since it contains its own fluid-like substance (silicone). I’m most impressed with
its ability to penetrate HEAVY clothing -- not 4 layers of denim -- 10 layers, and still
provide impressive expansion.

While massive bullet expansions _can_ be obtained if EFMJ’s are driven to high
velocities, as loaded, *penetration in each caliber is over 12 inches after piercing hard
barriers.

10% gelatin/FBI protocol

As far as rapidity of expansion is concerned, when a .45 Auto EFMJ is fired through
¾-inch *plywood, the exit hole created is 2 inches in diameter as compared to the
half-inch hole formed by a high-velocity Gold Dot.

The only drawback I see with the design is it is, of necessity, somewhat longer than a
standard bullet of comparable weight due to the density differential between silicone
and lead. This limits velocity to a degree.

The EFMJ was initially looked at by Federal as a product for European use -- especially
in countries where hollow points are flat-out illegal to use (even for police). However,
after sending pre-production 9mm ammunition to federal agencies for testing in this
country, the company quickly realized that there was tremendous law enforcement
interest and potential here in the U.S. Agencies were particularly interested in utilizing
the round in their MP5’s, as it feeds extremely well. A major agency is interested in a
165 grain EFMJ .40 for their duty pistols. The ammo is scheduled to be tested in Canada
next week. Various state agencies still not allowed to carry hollow points (e.g., Detroit
P.D.!) are also candidates. In a nutshell, things may be moving along quicker than FCC
would prefer (at SHOT, I overheard one gentleman order 240 cases).

The company is currently geared up for 9mm production. Manufacture of the .357 SIG
and the .40 will soon follow. The .45 Auto will be next in line. At this time, it is being
viewed as a law-enforcement-only round. It’s conceivable that this could change in the
future, however.

Bullet weight for the 9 is 124 grains (it’s possible that a 135 grain may be released in
the near future). A 155 grain EFMJ as well as a 165 grain version in the .40 has been
perfected. It looks like the 165 grain bullet will be the standard weight. In .45,
extensive work has been done in 165 grains and 185 grains. A 200 grain prototype is
also being worked on.

Current velocity for the 124 gr. 9mm (standard pressure) is as follows:

Sig P228 1063 fps
Beretta 92 1112 fps
H&K MP5 1225 fps

A +P and +P+ version has also been tested. I have a hunch that the Rounds loaded to
+P pressure levels will quickly become the “standard” L.E. round sold by Federal. Bullets
loaded to 1300 fps have been tested. Bullet weights ranged from 115 grains to 147
grains.

Currently, the .40 S&W velocities range from 1120 to 1205 fps, depending on weight.
Bullet weights ranged from 135 grains to 165 grains.

Velocities generated in .45 auto range from 920 to 1200 fps, depending on weight and
pressure level. I’m pretty sure a standard pressure load will be the product available to
L.E. Bullet weights ranged from 135(!) grains to 185 grains. I’ll be testing a 200 grain
bullet this month.

After two-years of development work (not counting Federal’s own work, later), the
patent claims are very numerous and cover every worthwhile variation.

I routinely saw this design in my sleep!

While I’m sure there will be detractors, I think the EFMJ is probably the most versatile
design to date.

Another article is scheduled to appear within the next month or two in Police Marksman
in case anyone’s interested.

Tom Burczynski
----

SOFT TARGETS: When the EFMJ strikes a soft target at an angle, the expansion (when
looking directly at the nose) is still very round but is sometimes canted in relation to the
shank’s axis. A big NY white-tail was hit behind the shoulder at an angle of about 30
degrees (155 grain .40 (S&W 4006)) and still looked good, considering the fact that it
broke a rib. The general shape of the expanded bullet was surprisingly round. Weight
retention was 100%. The deer traveled about 20 yards before piling up. I hope to have
many more field reports on white-tails next year.

HARD TARGETS: Regarding hard targets, it depends on the target. If the bullet strikes
plywood it digs in and expands, but as is the case with a soft point or hollow point, if
the angle of impact is great enough, it will depart at the approximate angle of
incidence. If fired at an angle into a masonry surface, the bullet is transformed into a
large, ellipsoidal projectile, and because of the friction involved, a good percentage of
its velocity is lost. The combination of reduced velocity and _very poor_ ballistic
coefficient at least reduces the hazard to bystanders. One can only expect one design
to perform so many tasks. There are no magic bullets.

Regarding detractors (above post) and barrier penetration, as stated previously; ”…as
loaded, penetration in each caliber is over 12 inches after piercing hard barriers.” No
bullet expands to full diameter instantaneously, that’s why (just like a JHP) it can
penetrate car doors and windshields.

10% gelatin/FBI protocol

Because it IS a _more_ rapidly expanding bullet and because 12 sharp jacket edges are exposed quickly, it shouldn’t experience cranial deflection/penetration problems.

Tom Burczynski

G

·
Sorry guys,
I did order individual boxes of the EFMJ in each caliber then I went back and ordered five boxes per caliber for testing.
He may have shipped my first order all in one, although I thought it came as multiple boxes. Sorry again guys, so much stuff comes by UPS that it is hard to keep track of.

·
Registered
503 Posts
On 2001-06-06 10:08, David DiFabio wrote:
Anthony,
Jim did some preliminary work and posted his results under this section as "expanding FMJ".
I am working with this loading and should have some review/notes in early July.
Here is a little update on the .45 load. I had some questions after the bullet did not penetrate a thin piece of treated pine after passing though a milk jug - neither did the 9mm and I still have questions, but here is a little more conventional test.

I shot the .45 into wet newsprint (soaked for 48 hours) with plenty of water content. It gave 10.6" of penetration and expanded to almost exactly .70" (the previous .80" expansion may have been a little extra since the bullet bounced off the pine board and did not penetrate it). By comparison this is good penetration and decent expansion in newsprint.

The rounds I have (which came from Eric at Ammoman) clocked 980 fps in my 5" Kimber Custom Classic.

I will be keeping an eye on this... I have already arranged for some of the 9mm to fall into the hands of folks who cannot use JHPs and are likely to come up with a use for this stuff :smile:

More to follow.

Jim Higginbotham
Reporter: "And why do you carry a Colt .45?"
Texas Ranger: "Because Colt don't make a .46!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.