Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tom and Steve, Will hard chrome stand up to the abuse better than Stainless steel. The holster I will be using for IDPA is a Sidearmor. I have sold and am doing some marketing work for Sidearmor and want to add a 1911 to my collection. The finish inside on these holsters is very smooth and results in almost not wear on Glock pistols. I appreciate the info and the help to make my decision.

kevin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stainless will hold up well, depending on the finish. Matte stainless will be more durable than polished, and low pressure glass bead blasted will hold up better than aluminum oxide blasted.

Hard chrome, at a Rockwell C scale of 70, is significantly better than stainless, or anything else for that matter, in the wear department.

If you are really worried about the finish appearance, keep the gun and holster dust and grit free. It's the dust and grit in the holster, not the Kydex which willscratch and mar the finish. A quick rinse in cold water and/or pulling a rag through the holster does the trick.

HTH

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-06-19 23:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
515 Posts
It seems to me that much of the excessive finish wear blamed on kydex holsters is really a result of sharp-edged pistols scraping and roughening up the interior of the holster...which then abrade the pistol's finish. As long as the kydex surface is smooth, unscuffed, and clean, it doesn't seem to wear finishes too badly.

Could this be why Glocks seem to be relatively uneffected by kydex holsters? The black oxide on Glocks is not especially wear resistant. Could it be that the smooth and rounded Glocks simply don't scratch and scuff up the inside of the holster into an abrasive and grit-grabbing mess?

Rosco

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rosco,
You hit the nail on the head. Every time I look at new Kydex, I wonder why it is so rough on a finish. Then a month goes by and it looks like it got run over by a lawnmower. I think you are on to something. Now I have the reason (excuse) :wink: to do a pretty serious melt on one of my blasters. Thanks for thinking it farther through than I have!
Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good point! I'm wonderin' what file or other abrasive will take it back to 'The smooth' it had when first used?

·
Registered
580 Posts
FWIW, tried one of the "machine" molded Kydex holsters for a Glock 34. Holster & Gun
were kept clean but still scuffed up the slides {admittedly soft} phosphate finish badly. By the time was a couple of hours thru a 2-Day Handgun course long thin "Carrot" peels were coming out with draw {Possibly from the cut-out on top of slide or a "Hot" pistol?}.
Switched to the hand made Kydex from Ky-Tac, Mad Dog & High Desert Tac with no problems @ all after a couple of years & xxxx rounds.
Point is, Kydex varies markedly in quality even @ the same $ point.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...again Good Point...

My sooperhooper is still good to go but it wouldn't hurt to "polish" it a bit :wink:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have had good luck with foam sanding blocks like those found @ Home Depot, etc. for sharp edges and deeper scratches. Brand was 3M or Norton? Won't "polish" but will smooth out surface quite well.

G

·
I prefer a glass beaded ss finish and will settle for a good hardchrome when necessary.

One point to remember is to ask if your designated glass beader if he uses one tank for SS only.
I have had several done by shops that did not know the difference and small rust spots will appear where the non-stainless metals were appliced to my SS pistols.

Kydex works very well for most applciations but it must be kept clean and free of debris/dust. IMO cordura nylon rigs (Eagle/Blackhawk) are also very prone to finish wear and very dirt/debris sensitive.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-06-20 14:06, Shane Kropf wrote:
Jeez, I've got enough problems maintaining my GUNS- I think I'll stick with leather - sounds like a lot less work! :wink:
Yeah! I don't know Shane...I jus' have ta' MESS with it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.