Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here

Have been looking into firearms finishes for some time - wanted to refinish a SIG with aluminum frame.

Hard chrome seems to come out best - but only two places do alloy frames (SP&W & Metalife)

I've never seen the work of either of the above, so have held off thus far.

I note that ADS have a treatemnt called Metacol III (see text from their web site below). It's billed as another wonder treatment, but I've never seen it, nor do I know anyone who has tried it.

I want somthing with good abrasion resistance (holster wear) and corrosion resistance (sweat etc)

Anyone know anything about Metacol III or how well nickel + HC plating adheres to alloy frames over the years ?

Thanks in advance
==========================================================
METACOL III

METACOL III is the best firearm coating available and has made all other coatings obsolete. METACOL III is a bonded, solid-film lubricant. Unlike paint, it will never chip, peel, bubble, or crack and is thin enough (.0003" to .0007") to coat the most delicate internal components. When cured, it chemically bonds at the molecular level with the base metal. It is unbelievably tough (the toughest black finish available), impervious to rust, and self-lubricating. It is the ideal coating for modern weapons and can be applied to carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, brass, "pot metal," and some high-temperature plastics (like HK collapsible stocks). METACOL III is available in standard colors - HK-style satin black (most popular), Colt-style dark gray, classic patina - a gray/green/brown; And special colors - NATO green, desert tan, earth brown, and matte silver; and Camouflage patterns - four-color woodland and three-color desert.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't have any experience with Metacol, it could be a very good coating. However, I'm usually very leery of anything that has the "best" moniker applied to it. Usually marketing hype and often times the opposite is true.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't ruler Robar's NP3 out. It can be applied to aluminum frames and it has a lifetime gaurantee against peeling/flaking, unlike hard chrome. It looks great and is supposed to improve longevity/wear.

Also their catalog says no lube is needed (of course I would anyway) because it is so slick.

Just my thoughts.

John

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you're interested in the Metacol III finish, just ask Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems. He hangs out here, mostly on the High Power forum.

Looks like a good finish, but a bit glossy for me. I know Tom Givens has a couple of guns finished in Metacol and seems to like them.

Chad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas, seems like I've hit a hot topic. I'll look up the thread in custom guns too.

That Metalifed 1911 looks VERY nice.

I've been told that NP3 is the finish that kahr apply to their barrels and triggers. I have a Kahr, and am not impressed with that finish. Stayed on the trigger OK (so far) but came right off the barrel - and looked a mess while doing it. I've since polished the barrel.

G

·
Nylon,
I have in fact donated years and a lot of money into finding the "best" firearm finish.
I believe that Glock Tenifer is hands down the most durable finish made.
In list of desirability here is my opinion:
1. Tenifer
2. Black T (only by Birdsong)
3. Hardchrome

On a "show" gun I prefer nickel and black chrome.
I have spent thousands of dollars on junk finishes, if you want a "black" finish buy Black T by Birdsong period.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
David

I'd agree on the Glock finish - mine have not rusted. Problem is it's not applicable to aluminum, and can't be done retro !

Not seen any Black T finished guns -will see if they have a web page.

How does Black T compare to hard chrome from a durability point of view ?

G

·
Aside from Tenifer, hard chrome is as durable as it gets.
I prefer black finishes so I recommend the Black T but only by Birdsong, I have tried and used over two dozen versions of the "spray paint" finishes by a lot of companies and you will be happier if you save the money and avoid the "junk" finishes.

G

·
Nylon,
I would hardchrome the slide and Black T the frame.
Then you will have a pistol that is also very nice to look at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the additional input fellas, much appreciated.

Looks like chrome on aluminum is not a good idea - unless perhaps, you intend to carry a lot and use a little.

Standard anodising seems to hold up quite well.

I have a Kahr which may benefit from a chrome job mmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.