Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On some of my brass, fired from a Kimber 5", I have noticed a small "drag mark" from the firing pin at the edge of the firing pin indentation. Having shot .38 Super at major levels during my IPSC days, I am well aquainted with signs of excess pressure. So these have me stumped. The load that I am shooting is well below max (230 lead round nose, 5.2 WW231,chronographs at about 830 FPS, overall length 1.250", taper crimp 0.469"). I have two theories as to the cause:
1. the bullets are oversized and this is in fact a sign of excess pressure; next I am going to shoot some Winchester factory ball to see if the brass has the same marks
2. for some reason, the barrel is unlocking before the firing pin has retracted back into the slide; BTW I am using a Wolff 18.5# recoil spring and an extra power firing pin spring).
Anyone out there have any ideas?
Bill Go

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bill:

I am very interested to hear what folks have to say about your problem as I am seeing the same thing in the case of a "hardball" load almost the same as yours (except I am using Bullseye) and have been wondering if it is a pressure sign or not. I'm all ears. Happy holiday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Sig P220 does the same thing. I changed the recoil spring, and installed an extra power firing pin spring. I still have slight drag marks on the primers. I think this is a far more common issue than we realize. I called Sigarms, and the gunsmith told me not to worry about it. I would still be interested in resolving the problem, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kshutt on 2001-09-03 19:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kshutt
I agree that this is probably more common than most realize. Today I was scrounging through some salvaged brass at my local range an I noticed that quite a few pieces of brass (fired from pistols unknown) have this mark on the primer indentation. Whether or not it is worth worrying about I am not sure. I know that when I used to shoot .38 Super at IPSC major, enough of the primer brass would flow such that primer debris would get into the firing pin channel and jam it up. Thus far I have not found any debris in my .45, nor have I ever experience a FTF that I could trace to primer debris. At this point I am inclined to think that it is not a problem.
Bill Go

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.