Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently realized that my kit was missing a vital ingredient -- a nice fixed-blade knife. And I don't have any custom knives (a grevious oversight). So I went searching.

Seems like the knife world is even worse than we are when it comes to naming things :grin:. I got so sick of "Recon Operator Ninja Stealth Assassin tactical survival knives" that I thought I'd barf.

Then I stumbled across what seems to be the perfect small camp knife. It's made by Trace Rinaldi and is called the TTKK -- the Talmadge Tactical Kitchen Knife :razz:.
http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/Knives/ttkk.htm

Mine is 4-1/2" with carbon fiber handle and high-carbon D2 steel blade. Should be a mofo :smile:.

I love the fact that it's actually designed to do what 95% of all knives end up doing -- food prep -- without giving up the ability to whack a 2x4 (or a bad guy) in half or cut tent stakes. And it's not as scary looking as most "tactical" knives. Seems about perfect.

The reviews on Bladeforums.com and Knifeforums.com have been uniformly glowing http://www.bladeforums.com/features/tkkreview.shtml for example, so I ordered one. I'll let you know what I think.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-11-14 15:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, I went with the D2 steel. I was seriously considering the BG42 for it's stain and corrosion resistance, but decided that I'd rather have the toughness of the D2 (which does have a 12% chromium content, making it semi-stainless). The D2 will take a sharper edge than the BG42, I'm led to understand.

As for the handle, I went with the carbon fiber. I like the micarta better (especially the red), but BladeArt had a carbon fiber TTKK in stock, so I bought it rather than wait. Hell, I'll probably get another one anyway :smile:, so the next one will be either BG42 or talonite with micarta -- five inch blade, 3/16" stock rather than the standard 1/8". I'm fascinated by talonite blades. They're too weak for heavy chopping, but the fact that they can't rust or corrode is pretty appealing.

As I mentioned, this is my first knife from a custom maker, but I see this turning into a worse addiction than pistols :smile:).

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-11-15 09:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sort of like the smaller utility type fixed blades myself. I have two Bob Dozier knives that have been real gems. Contacted Rinaldi about the Gambit model. He has the D2 and recommends it for this knife. He also can make it out of Talonite (higher of course). I've heard about Talonite, has anyone used a knife made out of this material. If so, how does it compare to other blade materials?

Tim

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KimbGlock, the Gambit is a sweety! It looks like a great little knife. I was going to get one at the same time I got the TKK, but BladeArt didn't have any in, and I'm an impatient SOB. Might have to put one on order, though.

As for Talonite, the reviews have been almost overwhelmingly positive, especially for smaller knives. It doesn't have the spine strength of steel, so it doesn't work as well for larger chopping-style knives, but seems to be about perfect for sub-4" blades. Rinaldi and Rob Simonich seem to be the top makers (but my knowledge is limited, there may be others) for Talonite. It's a cobalt alloy, so it can't rust or corrode. It seems to be hard enough for heavy use in a small knife and takes a good edge.

Check out http://www.bladeforums.com and do a search on Talonite. I know there are lots of reviews, tests, etc.

Let me know if you get a Gambit. I'm eager to hear your impressions.

Chad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.