Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my current FP Stop is loose on my Colt XS GM. I ordered a new one from Wilson Combat, and it should get here early next week.

I noticed in Hilton Yam's post that he spoke about fitting the FP Stop to the extractor. I knew I would need to fit it to the slide, but how do I fit it to the extractor?

Thanks,

SBLars

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You want to make sure the FP stop is tight enough so the extractor cannot twist or torque in the slide. Fitting is relatively simple - push the new stop into place. If it is too tight, remove material from the RIGHT hand side of the stop only with a file. Don't change angles, just remove a slight bit of material from the side face of the stop. Try fitting again. Remove very little each time and test fit frequently. You've got it right when you can push the stop into place with some tension and friction.

Once done, slowly rack the slide and make sure that your ejector clears the stop on the left hand side of the stop. Ocassionally, this notch in the FP stop needs to be opened up. Only remove enough material to let the ejector pass through without contact. This is the weakest area of the stop, so you don't want to remove more material than necessary.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHa...I see...fitted to the ejector!!!! I knew about fitting into place in the slide. I am replacing my old one because it allows the extractor to twist a little bit, and I don't want it to do that.

But I didn't know (or think, or run into it yet) about the ejector.

Thanks alot. My confidence (and knowledge) is restored.

Now I just have to wait for my WC order to get here. It should have been tomorrow, but they held shipping due to a back order on one of the ten items I ordered (a spring and follower kit for my Colt 8rd mag). I told them today to just go ahead and ship the other items and ship the spring/follower kit when it was in stock. I wish they would have emailed or something so that I could have maybe found out about this on monday instead of wednesday evening.

G

·
Not to be picky, but if the stop doesn't clear the ejector, how do you get the slide back on the frame to rack it? :smile:

G

·
Boy did I ever jinx myself... Detail cleaning after my range visit this AM, my FP Stop is cracked. Kimber's sending a warranty replacement, but I also ordered a 'bullet-proof' stop. I no longer trust MIM and get to fit my own stop.. :smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well I kinda feel like I wasted my money on the WC FP Stop.

It is actually smaller (width) at the point where it should hold the extractor snug than my original Colt FP Stop.

The raised portion that the hammer contacts is a bit wider therefore allowing less wiggle than the Colt unit, but I don't think that extractor twist is reduced very much.

The only fitting I had to do was the curved lower portion that slides over the hammer. It was too long and I had to take a bit of material off to smooth up the action again.

I have caliper micrometers that measure up to 7 inches, but I have no internal measurement micrometers so I couldn't measure the groove on the slide.

Oh well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Depends on the type of FP Stop..The EGW oversize is a nice one to work with..it is tryly the only one that I know of that is oversized..anyway..it is tight in all dimensions and the bottom radius is left almost square. Being square, when the slide comes back it will require more force to cock the hammer, thus leaving the gun locked up a little longer. This was a good thing in IPSC guns when shooting 115s with light slides to keep the gun in lockup.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW I maintained the curve on the FP Stop.

It needed fitting because it would drag on the hammer when returning to lockup.

If you can imagine the FP Stop extending below the back edge of the hammer slide portion of the slide then you can gain a clearer picture of what I am talking about.

It was protuding past by about 2/3 of a millimeter.

I guess i will order a EGW when I get the chance.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.