Pistol Smith Forum banner

folders?

4K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  JohnBT 
#1 ·
So whos folder are you using and why? Is the "tactical folder" the visable, secret handshake of the gun world?

#2 ·
1. An old BenchMade 970SBT. I can't find any reason to replace it yet.

2. I've often wondered that same thing, but the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the answer would be "yes." :smile:

Chuck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StormMaster on 2001-04-23 02:58 ]</font>

#3 ·
An Allen Elishewitz "Omega 5" with ATS-34 blade, green and black linen micarta handle scales with titanium bolsters. (The Benchmade "Stryker" is their licensed copy of this knife). I've parted with many fine guns over the years, but won't give up this folder.
I have contacted Mr Elishewitz regarding crafting me one of his new designs, either a "Prodigy" or "Oracle" folder; with continuous-star sting-ray handle scales to compliment some of my holsters.

#5 ·
Benchmade 970 with partial serrations and the black blade in my weak hand pocket. Here is my reasoning for weak hand knife: I believe my pistol would be in my strong hand and if I am in a struggle for my handgun my knife is still available. Does this make sense?

I think we ought to have a slash and stab section of the IDPA stage. Run your gun and extra mag dry and have to take out the last guy with your folder.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillD on 2001-04-23 07:54 ]</font>

#7 ·
I think Dane is on to something, with his observation about the folder being the "secret handshake" of the gun world. While it is not always the case, I do make a point of looking for a knife and then play: see-if-I-can-spot-the-concealed-handgun-too. I am amazed at the number of people walking around in a fog, that never notice I am carrying two folders.

Round Eye Knife & Tool Sifu

I carry a true mirrored pair of the REKAT Sifu folders. It is a big folder at at little over five inches of blades. Some refer to this category of folder as "mega folder". With this handle design, the reach from the close grip is about equal to that of a seven inch fixed blade. The reach from the farthest postition it is more like that of an eight inch fixed blade. The rolling lock design is one of the strongest design ever put on a folder. It is capable of holding more than 800 pounds of dead weight with that lock design.

My pair are from the first run, when the recurve blades were ground by hand. It is a very sharp and well balanced knife. It is also very easy to execute an inertia opening with it. Production Sifus have a clip included for tip up carry. Mine did not come with a clip and I had a knifemaker friend add benchmade clips in the tip down position. On a blade this size I think it is safer mounted in this way. It also allows the knife to seat deeper in the pocket than does the new factory postioning. Anyone I show the Sifu to, is blown away by how big a folder it really is, yet they give it little notice when it is in my pocket.

BillD's point about carrying an offhand knife is a valid one in my view. If I only carry one knife, it is carried in the left front pocket. I am a naturally lefty, but shoot right handed, as I am cross-dominant (left handed right eyed). So I have an easier time with Bill's concept than most. But I do think it has a lot of merrit. The mostly right handed world pays little attention to what is going on with the most peoples left hand. The element of surprise is always good. It also puts a blade in the hand closest to your opponent, when assuming a right handed ready shooting stance. A one clean number two line and a weapon can be disarmed quickly from a right handed opponent. I think it does open up some options when defending a right handed gun grab, when there is a knife in availabe to the left hand. Even if IDPA doesn't add your event Bill, it is worth considering a drill similar to the one you outlined. Having shot your gun dry and the opponent is still closing, it might just make more sense to break down the machine with a blade, than attempt a reload at that moment. Interesting to consider I think.

DD

#9 ·
Darrel Ralph auto is *probably* my main folder, except when I just need a worker then it is a large Reeves Sebenza.

Bill, DD, I like the notion but not sure how viable it is in a real fight, especially in a real fight for your gun. Here is why I say that:

If you and I are struggling for control of my pistol, that tells me you either a) don't have one of your own, or b) yours isn't operational. Therefore, the fight for my pistol really is for all the marbles. Just an opinion, but I don't think there is anyone with the strength in one hand to prevent me from disarming him of a pistol with my two hands...if there is, I don't want to mess with him :smile: Really, it is not so much a matter of strenth as it is leverage at that point. Now, if we are dancing while he is shooting, or prying on one of my eyeballs with his off-hand...waaaay different story. This assumes of course the gun is one that is large enough to actually get a good grab on...those tiny pistols are a bitch to disarm.

In a disarm scenario, I think most fights for the pistol will be over before most folks can bring a knife, especially a non-auto folder to bear in the fight...presuming of course that it is not a set up fight, ie., demonstration where you know what is coming. By bring to bear, I don't mean just draw it, or even draw it / get it open / cut non-vitals with it, when I mean, make it a fight ender or dramatic changer.

If I am in a fight for my pistol, and the pistol is an auto, I am going to put my off-hand on the slide to keep it forced forward, then trigger the shot [pistol is now a single shot] into center mass. If this does not end the fight, then I may go knife, but will more likely try and take the fight to the ground immediately. If I cannot get it there, I want distance. Created however it can be created. Knee to groin / off-hand elbow to face / headbutt / biting...whatever is presented which will allow me an opportunity to create the distance I need from the aggressor.

The notion of drawing a folder with off-hand is a good one, and I am not being critical of the thinking. It is just that in real time, fights move extremely fast...blink of an eye fast. If at all possible, I want both hands on the gun we are fighting for until I either regain control of the gun, or have enough control to put fire into the aggressor. In addition, training the mind to make the off-hand go to pocket for folder...as opposed to instantly grab for the gun, will be immense...our natural reaction is to grab onto whatever somene is trying to take from us. Next time you are playing with your young kids, especially a toddler, grab ahold of the bottle he / she is carrying with one hand :smile: Instantly, they will scream and clutch it with both hands...if they still want it at all.

Good thinking though! Thanks.

#10 ·
Allen Elishewitz Shadow. Titanium bolsters, carbon fiber scales. ATS-34 blade. I like Elishewitz's designs. Aesthetically pleasing. I also like it's smooth opening. I prefer the modified tanto style blade for the way I use it. The liner lock lockup is very solid. I've tried quite a few different things to get it to accidentally close. Just won't happen, so I'm confident it will do it's job.

And the blade is wickedly sharp. I accidentally cut myself all the time. What a fumblebutt. :roll:

#13 ·
Benchmade/Emerson CQC7 right hip pocket right next to visible wallet. Spyderco Native left front. If I can't carry a gun, then the motion for reaching for my wallet is the same as reaching for my knife.

I like the Benchmade, but I find it a limited use tool. If I hadn't lost my AFCK during a jump (that's a whole other story) that's what it would be. I'm just lazy and lately I've been shooting a whole lot more than practicing with a knife.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just a GI on 2001-04-23 17:21 ]</font>

#14 ·
I carry either a Cold Steel Voyager or one of several Spydercos when working. I can't justify several hundred dollars for a knife I may lose while on a chase, fight, etc. Off-duty, I usually a CRKT Kasper folder.

Eric

They all open/work in the same fashion, so I feel comfortable with different ones. After all, the closing doesn't bother me, I'm trying to open it fast, not close it :smile:

G
#16 ·
I have three daily carry knives that make up my system: Pocket knives, A left handed Ekishiwetz Model 5, a right handed Emerson CQC8 and a reverse clip mounted Crawford/Kasper compact mounted in between my belt and pants in rear SOB.
When I travel I carry all non-metallic knives, a Mad Dog pygmy frequent flyer, an Emerson G10 CQC7, a sterile carbon fiber fixed blade and folder.

#17 ·
I carry a Benchmade cqc7/Emerson designed(now no longer in production for some reason) in left front pocket and yes I do think it's the
"secret handshake" of the gun totin' world although as mentioned not the rule.
How come when you deploy a thumbable folder alot of people say "hey he's got a switchblade"? and I'm not even that fast. Ignorance I suppose.:wink: also ever since I was 8 and given a swiss army knife by my uncle I've always carried one, currently a "mechanic" model with pliers in lieu of saw.

:grin:

#19 ·
Old Spyderco SS 'Mariner'. Bought a ton of them during heyday of their production. Now discontinued and I've got less than a dozen left, and they don't seem to last too long. Arghh!

Interesting comments about folder carry as a back-up. One thing I might suggest as opposed to getting in the clinch with toddlers is to train with some grapplers to see what you'll REALLY do when in the clinch. :grin: All this talk about keeping both hands firmly on the wep while locked-up is fanciful, but highly unlikely, as it is against human nature when the b.g. is pummelling your face! I've trained such scenarios a lot, and it just don't happen. You will release a hand in manual self defense. Try fending me off with groin shots, etc. while clasping your sidearm with both hands. No leverage and no power to begin with, as you're partially stooped over, and you are exposed and vulnerable in a big way. One elbow to your head and its night-night. Clinching and grappling implies use of the upper body, including the hand(s). Without such, you have lost control of the situation. Another thing, kinda hard trying to take the fight to the ground while also performing manual retent on your sidearm. In my experience, the fight will take itself to the ground, and yes, seemingly in the blink of an eye. IMO, if you're gonna use the handgun, use it while you still have defensible space. Once that's gone, all bets are off. Gotta also train with the blade and empty-hand. Just my $.02. Take care.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dpcdivr on 2001-04-24 01:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dpcdivr on 2001-04-24 01:18 ]</font>

#24 ·
Spyderco Delica. It's got a 3" plain blade so I can carry it virtually anywhere without getting hassled, it cuts as good or better than the fancy blades but only costs about $40 and if I lose it, tear won't fall. I also prefer to avoid knives that are labeled "Super Secret Ninja Warrior Throat Slitting Combat Impaler" because I just don't think that plays well in court. I kind of like the idea of just having a pocketknife that might somehow be useful for something other than opening letters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.