Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
This unfortunate tendency to label all things with clever (and rather more often not-so-clever) tags which often have no useful meaning or add to the knowledge of the reader or listener needs to be squelched among good people.

What is "RETRO" applied to a simple, functional, professionally set up 1911 pistol? Nothing retroactive about that--it's what the piece was meant to be.

"Lines to my Lady 45" could never have been written about these tricked out game guns or so-called duty guns with a host of modifications and add-ons whose primary purpose is simply to make the owner feel more professional in terms set by media rather than practical usage.

The pieces Dane has been showing lately simply reflect a return to common sense, practical, defensive sidearms. Nothing retroactive about that atall.

Did I mention I hate that term applied to 1911's. Next thing we'll be labelling 41, 44, 45 DA revolvers with fixed sights, good fitting, a professional finish, and functional grips retro-wheelies--or is that limited to the old Peterson crew?

· Registered
160 Posts
Desert Dog:

Sorry for the lapse--always nice to have an "I told you so" sort of moment.

Wish my grouping were fast and tight enough to evoke the same.

Have to say the last young folks I shot with were using some fairly nice 1911 pistols and were shooting some decent groups on the move. Don't think they were overly impressed with my SAA 45 and old SyW No 1 DA in 44 Russian--at least though they were nice enough not to sneer--at the time anyway!

Also didn't snivel as much about my cigars as Rupert seems to....

· Registered
160 Posts
Hilton: No wonder you were puzzled, if it's a 45ACP SAA, you don't put the magazine IN--you just thumb the rds OUT of the magazine into the holes. Actually, a 1911 magazine DOES make compact way to carry spare rds and a slick speed loader for a SAA though--you just thumb the rounds into the chambers.

Enjoyed seeing y'all shoot them modern fast-shooters, though. Makes me feel safe in Gucci-Bagger Land...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.