Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I have always wanted to ask:

Let say I`m interested in buying a new 1911...and my FFL will allow me to do a detail strip on the piece.

What would one of you Guys who build custom guns look for and why, and what tools might you bring to help in picking the best possible Frame, Slide, as well as the other parts...and avoiding a Dog ?

Please note that other guys who have built up guns , input is welcome !!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-18 15:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
239 Posts
I actually wouldn't care at all about the condition of the bore, as I'd toss the stock barrel right away. See my post on Production 1911's re: original Colts. I want to see an unaltered feed ramp and round holes where they belong. Small parts are all easily replaced, so a good frame and slide are all that really matters if you're looking for something to build up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I suggest you look at a new COLT even though I despise the colt people they still have the best steel and the best parts and their springs are good. Quality control is poor so the plunger tube and front site may be loose, but that can be fixed LOOK FOR A GOOD FRAME TO SLIDE FIT, THAT IS THE KEY, IF YOU LOOK THROUGH ENOUGH BOXES YOU WILL FIND ONE. As far as Kimber, they give you a lot for your money but they do not give you anything good, parts are junk inside. AS for SA it is a metric gun with poor quality parts and springs best thing I ever saw coming out of Brazil are their WOMEN.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree to about the Woman... but i often get to find a good S/A. I get to cherry pick at my local dealer, and often the S/A's are better fit then the COlts.

I agree that the springs on the S/A are junk as well, i toss them as soon as i get the pistol home.

BUT ON TO THE TOPIC- Here is what i like to look at, frame/slide fit,
straight lines between the flats/rounds,
full contact on the frame rails,
quality of lettering/roll marks/slide serrations,
flush fit frame tangs at rear of slide
any obvios casting flaws, tooling marks etc...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I want to comment on the SA 1911 stainless steel pistols. Look at you hammer, slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety, main spring housing, barrel bushing etc. These parts are chrome plated carbon steel. If you doubt me take one of your parts on the inside and remove some of the chrome with a diamond file and touch some cold blue on it and watch it turn black. Smoke and mirrors.

Teddy Jacobson
http://www.actionsbyt.com

·
Registered
628 Posts
Teddy,

Not that I doubt you, but would you elaborate on which Kimber parts are "junk" and why you feel that way? Thanks...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-03 05:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
103 Posts
I checked out several Colts, Springfields and Kimbers at a local gun show yesterday. Kimber had the tightest fit out of all of them. I'm not saying they are or are not better guns, just that they had the best slide to frame fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.