Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please accept these for the opinions that they are, but you may want to think again. I too am a rookie in training while listening to the experts here. First I would shoot the gun alot, then refinish. Nickel, while pretty, is not the best working gun finish. You may want to consider hard chrome, black T, Armor Tuff or maybe just plain parkerizing. Also, keep the guide rod. It its said to improve functioning and take down seems good if it has the hole in the rod. The FL rod also keeps you from ejecting a round or jamming your gun when pushing it over cover quickly. These are all just my opinion. I hope some of the more experienced members chime in here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Although I do feel hard chrome is better, there is nothing wrong with the functionality of Electroless Nickel if you like it. I have a factory nickled Sig and it is holding up very well. When it starts to go bad though, I hear it deterioration is rapid. FL guide rods are a personal preference, mine happens to be the original GI setup. Although what was said above is true, you also give up some tactical abilities such as the press check and hard surface chambering of a round by going to a FLGR. BTW if you are going to drop in a new firing pin, I have found the Wilson bulletproof part does not drop in to a SA.
Have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey M!

Could you elaborate on the Wilson/SA part change and what was involved?

TIA...How's that GSP???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey gyp...GSP is shooting good. Got about 1000 rounds through her and the trigger smoothed out real nice. It is heavier then my Wilson and Baer, but not too heavy (the wilson and baer are both 3-3.5# on an RCBS scale, lighter than what I thought they were). I had bought a bunch of Wilson parts from my local dealer as spares and such. Stuff that I thought would drop in i.e. springs etc, but the bulletproof firing pin was definitely too large in diameter for the Springfield which I found to be quite a surprise. I had assumed it would fit.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Huh...who'd a thought? I'm not surprised at anything I see or hear anymore...I never would have believed my extractor and ejector would be bad at 6-700 rds...After replacing them and havin' someone that knew what to look for and adjust, it's better than ever...
Glad your GSP "girl" is behavin' and things are goin' well...I've been lookin' at new parts and I'm glad I got that info from ya'... :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
All my guns are "shes" (cars too) with the exception of my Glock and ARs which are too ugly to be girls. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MPower on 2001-06-26 18:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too own a Glock, a G19,and I kind of like their no bull shit looks,it matches their internal design.I almost bought a Bushmaster instead of the SA.I would have been happy either way and would have wanted to change things either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.