Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never see anything on these guns and parts.IMO they are breath taking!!!Have any of you shot or used any of their parts.I would like one of their triggers in my SA.Maybe they are garbage,you tell me,but never the less unique and good looking.For any of you non smiths take a
look.www.sviguns.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isaidme on 2001-06-17 22:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes Sandy does have some pretty stuff. But, right now SV does not seem to give a shit about the US market. He is making fistfulls of cash overseas and isn’t supporting the US well at all. Try ordering something from them. If you get tired of waiting for close to nine months, join the crowd. It took me almost a year to get a stinking compact (113mm) grip assembly from them. It’s not even a gun!

STI get all my business, as they are willing to ship products when they say they will. That and they answer the phone. Same gun almost, just not pretty.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
148 Posts
SVI guns are great! I have a 40 cal high cap gun and love it. The problem is that the guns are impossible to get. No way to buy a frame or just a slide assembly for a project gun.SVI delivery is ...well... I'm not sure.I've waited a year now for a gun I custom ordered. You are lucky if you can get someone to answer the phone. Usually get a machine. I did recently get a relpy by email. I was shocked. Great products. You just can't get them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One question Tom,First thanks for the reply!Do you know where their parts actually ship from.On the sight they refer to Grand Prairie Texas,I live in Waco Texas around 150 miles away and am wondering if they sell over the counter goods.I guess I could email them!Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
SV stuff is great, in many cases is it far and above the best available. The problem is, as Tom said, getting your hands on it.

IMO they should pay a lot more attention to the US market, we are the ones who got them started and we will most likely be the market still be open when the others are closed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-06-18 11:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don’t have a clue if SV would sell stuff over the counter. I would guess they do not. The next time I am in Austin TDY, I plan to stop off at STI and say hello to all the folks there. Maybe I should also consider stopping by SV and seeing what the problem is...

Lets not forget dropping by Beverly McChords range North of Austin and shooting an IDPA match.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom,STI is an option on my list.But I really want an SVI trigger for no other reason but looks.I also like that scott grip of theirs.Anyhow Tom,if you do go to Dallas to light a fire under their ass,let us know what you find!!!Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
As in trigger do you mean the SV interchangeable trigger shoes? Those you can get from Brownells. Dont tell STI, but I like and use them. I am using the short, top curved or the short flat. You don’t need the tri-glide version as I think it’s only a gimmick. But, I think Brownells only carries the tri-glides.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Freeman on 2001-06-19 20:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Sir those are the ones,I will try not to get sucked into the triglide thing!I wonder if you can just use the trigger in the triglide kit with out the other BS.Buying the kit looks like the only way im going to get one of those triggers.The only thing I think I see different is a hole on the back of the trigger bow where the sear spring mates it.Thanks I never would have thought about brownells

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isaidme on 2001-06-19 21:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
148 Posts
Customer service is alive at SVI! I got an email from Tami today notifying me that my compact 40 cal. gun is almost ready(after an 11 month wait). Maybe things will improve at SVI and us average guys can actually get a gun from them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Somewhere, someone suggested that they might not be focusing on the US market because of the mag capacity restrictions.

I guess if I was selling double wide hicap guns and couldn't supply mags for them I would get tired of the hassles.

Who knows?

·
Registered
137 Posts
SVI, imho, has to many widgets, doohickeys, and watchamacallits. They coe up with all these wizbang parts and can't deliver pistols /frames in a timely fashion.

Having been in the writing buz for a number of years, I can honestly say they are no better than ohter factory custom 1911s out there. THey are commanding an outrageous price for their materials. Hell I even had Sandy tell me his Single Stack of which I have seen one used in a match by Bill Lane 3 yrs ago; is better or as good as a Heinie or a Vickers 1911. Wish I could get my hands on one for a fair comparison.

Take a STI and it will do the trick for you too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The lack of legal high cap mags in the US could explain the problem with the high cap. frames, but what about putting out a few single stack guns? I've got one of those on ordr too and will probably be looking at a good year for delivery. I personally like and enjoy their guns as a modern approach to a 21st century version of a 1911 gun.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have had access to a number of SVI single satck guns including Lanes' two.

They are nice guns. The frames are very nice components as are the slides. As a production gun I would certainly rate it as THE best. As a custom gun it isn't close to Vickers or Heinie or any of the best makers IMO. The two I have in production should live up to the potenial of Sandy's and SVI's original concept and take it a step further IMO.

As one maker told me, they built platforms we build on the platform. He's right of course so we had better be able to do it better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.