Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did I ever think I could hand cut perfect straight lines like the Pro’s do? Well, it was a lesson learned. Took me 10 hours, $175 for Marvel Jig and files and of all frames to try for the first time I picked a Stainless steel Kimber :roll: that is made of harder steel then most other frames.

It is not as simple as one would think. Of course, it IS functional for grip but it is ugly when the lines are not perfect!
Here are a couple of pictures of ‘home checkering gone bad".
BEFORE

Actually, my lesson learned is that if you want nice checkering, send it to a professional.

SO, what do you do now that a frame is messed up?

I made a call to George at EGW, had a good conversation with him. He said, “send it in :smile:, we get alot of these and we can fix it. We EDM cut the front strap and weld a Checkered insert at 30lpi or 20 lpi, we re cut the bottom of the strap for the mag well relief and we can keep the radius on top, under the trigger guard. NO PROBLEM”
(George can give a more technical explanation of the process)
George and crew did a great job! They also touched up some other mess ups I had but those are top secret :smile:
AFTER

I think this close up picture speaks for itself, I also received phone calls with updates on the status. Nice and patient with explanations. These guys are very friendly and do great work with fast turn around.
Thanks George, Joe and Jim.
http://www.egw-guns.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-11-12 12:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
87 Posts
That looks great! The after one I mean. :wink: Does anyone have any pictures of a Para-Ordnance frame with machine cut checkering or one of those weld in inserts? I've got a Stainless Para with the factory serrations that doesn't leave alot of options for a front strap treatment.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
WOWSERS!!! George!

I had not seen this and when George offered me the service on a problem gun I had in the shop I passed.

Now I wished I hadn't but I sure will recommend that same treatment to the gun's owner now.

BeeeeyouTEEFUL!

Shay I need an apprentice when you retire for being too good look'in :grin: You can start with the dremel on the back ordered Glocks :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-11-10 10:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paten, I've done a para like yours in 20 line hand checkering, it came out very nice. You can have it checkered at 20 lpi, if your hand can handle it. I'm sure machine cut would be better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shay,

At least you had the 'nads to give it a shot, and when it went South on you, you offered it up as a learning experience. Kudos- good form.

Waldo1

G

·
Thank you all for your kind words.
Very much.

Dane,
I wonder about this shay charicter??
he told me some guy broke into his house, wile he was out, seems he had it perfect and only had to finish a couple lines?

when he came back in, this is what he found.:smile: not sure I buy it :wink:

geo ><>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ya, George I know how that happens :grin: I use to have guys break into my shop all the time and work on guns when I wasn't around.....those trolls screwed up a lot of guns that took welding and a real machinist to fix. Locks on the doors never did help :roll:

They haven't been around for a few years, but as you know I can get surprised when I am putting a piece back together and "think" they have been here or hanging out in your shop :wink:

At least Shay comes buy it "honestly".

Heard the same guys have been in Florida for the last few winters and are getting to know Hilton's and Shay's place very well!
:grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.